Profile Picture

Tri-power Setup Questions

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
The center carb ECG has a SPARK CONTROL VALVE for a LOM DIST.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9caa1bd9-cbe8-4d2f-b7df-1ae8.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The center carb is the bigger of the three with a 1 1/16 venture.  My distributor uses only centrifugal advance, so I will not be using the vacuum ports. A former owner installed a threaded iron heater hose fitting into the 573.  It's frozen.  I've been down this road before.  To keep from destroying a vintage manifold, I'll be working with my Dremel tool.  I will be disassembling the carbs to see what they need.  I'm sure I will be replacing all three bases.

I spoke with Charlie on the phone yesterday.  He is a busy guy and doesn't have a lot of  time to bench race.  He gave me good advice and answered my questions. He told me to make a list of what I need and call him back. I can tell he doesn't have time for cheap rebuilds.  I see this as a good thing.  I know I'm going to put money into this setup if I want it right.

As far as the hood clearance issue goes, I think the only way to be sure is to remove the hood scoop chrome trim and mount the tri carbs and manifold. I believe I can see the clearance through the hole.  I'm thinking about building a three hole aluminum base and using foam to seal it to the hood like 60s Ram Air.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Good news.  I was able to get the iron heater hose connector out of the manifold without screwing up the manifold. I disassembled the primary carb and it looks like someone put a kit in them recently.  As I suspected the throttle plate screws are buggered up and the shafts are worn.  The screws holding the top on the carb are from a hardware store and are too long.  The manifold is fine.  The linkage is junk.  My list for Charlie is growing.

The next step is to put a vacuum gauge on my engine to check the idle vacuum so I can install the right power valve.   I ordered an intake manifold gasket set.  Hood clearance check after that.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
The power valves from Holley are a poor fit for the early carbs (may not seal good).  I believe Charlie has power valves that are modified to fit the early carbs.  You might want to discuss this with him.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Note what Paul said. The modern valves look almost identical and screw right in. And leak. I learned that working on that kind of tri power with 94’s the hard way.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

My distributor uses only centrifugal advance, so I will not be using the vacuum ports.

What type of DIST are you using?

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I saw the power valve problem on Charlie's videos.  Anyone who wants to mess with these carbs should view them.  I think there are five in all.  I found out yesterday that Charlie produces new Holley 94s. He has a number of options and finish choices.  I am thinking about driving down to see what he has next week. Might be better than messing with three 60 plus year old carbs?

My distributor is a stock 1957 Ford distributor with a Pertronics unit.  The centrifugal advance has been curved and I don't use vacuum advance.  My little 292 runs pretty good for what it is.  The TBird is a fairly light car and the O/D works.  I don't know the exact rear gear ratio, but it's pretty low.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/43528eac-e094-410a-a66a-2563.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer Posted - http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic110355-2.aspx

As said, I made the bracket out of aluminum I believe .040" since I have it for my sons oval dirt car. I took a few photos and for the most part it is held on by the rear carb studs. The rear stud is also for the ballast resistor which I choose to run with the Pertronics ll. You can see it has 2 bends 90* each and cut about 1/2 off under the coil. If you look under where the high voltage wire goes in the coil you will see a screw with a nut. That is going into the stock supplied hole that was in the manifold for the coil to stand up. It is the brace to keep the coil mount steady.

Around the edges you see, I took a hammer and with my bench vice bent over the edge on all the sides but ones going up to the carb to make it stiffer. I also thought if it was a stamped steel part they would have made that way.

I painted it silver to kind of make it blend in. The big red air filter hides mast all of it any way. Many times I've wanted the 2 small ones like are buddies at GM used but just can't do it. Rockets show some photos when your done and I hope you have as much good luck as I have had.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5a1c81a2-0889-4e2e-b89b-d87.jpeg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/5c9746b4-f56e-409c-8347-7d5.jpeg

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks!

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

GOOGLE - canister coil mounting brackets - and you will find all kinds of options.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter