Profile Picture

Tri-power Setup Questions

Posted By Florida_Phil 5 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Yes

miker (2/10/2019)
Paul, Charlie as in Vintage Speed?

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'm sure they will need some work.  I'll post what happens as I go along.  Right now, I just hoping my hood closes.  Rolleyes

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Clearance is tight in a bird.  Some have milled down the intake for a air cleaner to clear - I think the rear one.

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
When I had the Offy manifold on the bird, I could have milled the rear pad for clearance. I took the cheap way out and ran the air cleaner element thru the bandsaw (at the bottom gasket and up enough for clearance) and just used silicone to glue it back together.

With the hood scoop trim removed, and just the back carb on, you can get a pretty good look. Then crumpled tin foil or play dough to measure the clearance. If the motor mounts and steady rests are good, a bird motor doesn’t move much.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
If the motor mounts and steady rests are good...

Key words here ...

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

My engine mounts and steady rests are new.  I replaced them when I rebuilt the motor last summer.  Charlie has a large selection of air cleaners on his website. I should be able to make something work. I have photos off the Internet showing these setups on small Tbirds. Here's one below.  I'm still trying to figure out where to mount the coil?   Everything is suppose to arrive this afternoon.  Happy Birthday to me...Wow

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c4cc2475-8d62-476d-85ba-b1cb.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I received the EBay tripower today.  Upon inspection, I found the end carbs to be Holley 94 Ford logo EBUs.  The center carb is a ECG-5. The end carbs were blocked off with metal plates meaning they were used as dummies.  The Edelbrock 573 manifold is usable with no cracks or excessive wear.  The carbs will definitely need some work. I will also need better linkage and air cleaners.

I called Charlie at Vintage Speed and he told me to check the hood clearance before I do anything more.  Without swapping manifolds I performed some preliminary measurements.  From what I can tell so far, low profile air cleaners should fit inside the TBird hood scoop.  The worse case would be to run screens in the carbs with no filter.  A number of low profile air cleaners are available.  Making my own is also an option. I would appreciate any help other TBird owners could give me on hood clearance.  I hate to swap manifolds just to measure, but I will if I have to.

After talking with Charlie, it looks like the best way to go is to buy one new primary throttle body and two new secondary throttle bodies.  He sells them as a complete kit.  This eliminates any problems with the bases.  He sells linkage and air cleaners as well. His company is in Vero Beach Florida, about 2 hours drive south of my home.  Follow along and we'll see how this goes from here.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0ffdf4af-25d4-4da6-b8ed-3ade.jpg

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

When I had the trips on my 54, I made an aluminum bracket to hold the stock 56 type coil bracket which I mounted on the studs that hold down the intake (passenger side).  Don't have the trips any more so cannot provide  picture

Florida_Phil (2/13/2019)
My engine mounts and steady rests are new.  I replaced them when I rebuilt the motor last summer.  Charlie has a large selection of air cleaners on his website. I should be able to make something work. I have photos off the Internet showing these setups on small Tbirds. Here's one below.  I'm still trying to figure out where to mount the coil?   Everything is suppose to arrive this afternoon.  Happy Birthday to me...Wow

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

paul2748
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good luck with Vintage Speed.  Buying parts is ok, but there are some who swear by him and others that swear at him.

Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
My experience with Charlie Price was almost 20 years ago. If he’s anywhere near as entertaining in person as he was on the phone, I’d gladly drive a couple hours to see him in person. With the manifold, carbs, etc. Living outside Seattle, it’s more than a couple hours.

When you’re looking at aircleaners, check Ted and Joe’s article on how some of the aircleaners really restricted the flow. I know your not after max hp, but no sense giving some away on the air cleaner.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ

Reading This Topic

Site Meter