Profile Picture

Should I use any additives such as ZDDP on a newly rebuilt Y-block?

Posted By Danny 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Should I use any additives such as ZDDP on a newly rebuilt Y-block?

Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 8 hours ago
This is a good read on the subject.  

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/
2721955meteor
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
i sent 2 members pages of info similar engineer in ca made tests on every oil for sale in the us. but i goes they failed to pass it on,or possibly the sheep ethic surpassed teck info,some never learn. so i say don't wast time trying to educate a sheep
oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I seem to recall that not too long ago Rotella-T 15w40 (not the Synthetic Version) was One Oil that was acceptable for use in Y-Block Engines. Personally I have been using it for 10 Years. It does still have sufficient ZDDP  Content where many other HD Diesel Oils no longer have it. I have also read that it is rated for use in Gas Engines. Why is it no longer considered acceptable for use in Y-Blocks? It does not require the addition of the Zinc that has been discussed in this Topic. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
KULTULZ (1/2/2019)
The real racing oils say do not leave in and drain after racing .
The fake ones will say you can leave in.(certain amount of time)
Real ones normally will have a reduced or none of the detergent package and no moisture dispersant's, so they can get more friction modifiers in the oil as that is all a truce race needs.

THANX!

This is one of the discussions I shy away from as there are so many varied opinions and usually turns into a food fight.

RACING OIL is just that. It is drained frequently for tear-downs and such. It has very limited detergent/dispersant packages. The other "RACING OILS" may have a better package meant for a flat tappet street engine.

That's why I run VR1, it is a regular oil but its labeled as a racing oil in what I believe is a way to get around EPA requirements of reduced zinc levels.  Valvolines website says the following.

"high zinc provides race-level protection for high performance engines on the race track or the highway. It’s exclusive chemistry is designed to reduce friction and enhance power. It is among the most popular engine lubricants in all types of racing including paved and dirt ovals, and drag racing. Formulated for race engines, but compatible with passenger vehicles too."

Their bottles also state on the front "High Zinc" and "High Performance Oil Formula for push-rod and flat-tappet engines".

As far as I could tell from reading the bottle when I first started using it years ago it sounds like its a regular motor oil with high zinc levels as it states on the back "not for use in emission controlled vehicles".  Sounds to me like its really designed with high zinc levels but is not a true race oil.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Rusty_S85
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
oldcarmark (1/2/2019)
I seem to recall that not too long ago Rotella-T 15w40 (not the Synthetic Version) was One Oil that was acceptable for use in Y-Block Engines. Personally I have been using it for 10 Years. It does still have sufficient ZDDP  Content where many other HD Diesel Oils no longer have it. I have also read that it is rated for use in Gas Engines. Why is it no longer considered acceptable for use in Y-Blocks? It does not require the addition of the Zinc that has been discussed in this Topic. 

Rotella is still a go to oil last I heard.  Just hard to find in some places.  For me no local place stocks Rotella-T they have to order it.  So my option is to hit up the local oreillys and get the 5 quarts I need in Valvoline VR1 20W50 conventional as they keep that in stock and its a high zinc oil designed with racing in mind but is also compatible on street vehicles.  I don't think its a full on race oil the bottle seems to indicate it has the benefits of race oil with high zinc levels but is still a regular motor oil.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

KULTULZ
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Here's my concern (also IMO)-

The Valvoline VR1 Racing and other racing oils not intended for passenger vehicles contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.

So knowing this and having a high dollar engine (most likely no PCV also), I would keep a close watch on the crankcase. Maybe even an oil analysis occasionally. But the oils designed for today's engine ain't gonna cut it in a flat tappet engine (IMO).

oldcarmark
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Rusty_S85 (1/3/2019)
oldcarmark (1/2/2019)

Rotella is still a go to oil last I heard.  Just hard to find in some places.  For me no local place stocks Rotella-T they have to order it.  So my option is to hit up the local oreillys and get the 5 quarts I need in Valvoline VR1 20W50 conventional as they keep that in stock and its a high zinc oil designed with racing in mind but is also compatible on street vehicles.  I don't think its a full on race oil the bottle seems to indicate it has the benefits of race oil with high zinc levels but is still a regular motor oil.

Have You checked your local Walmart? As far as I know they stock it and Price is very good.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Florida_Phil
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I am using VR1.  I think I'll skip the additive next time.  Thanks.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
The way they describe it in the brief paragraph and in the PI Sheet, VR1 is definitely intended, at least in part, for street use.  It does have adequate levels and no additive is required.  The 10w30 variant also tested pretty well in the 540ratblog.  20w50 was not tested.

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/vr1-racing-oil

Lawrenceville, GA
tomfiii
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)Supercharged (126 reputation)

Remember ,too much ZDDP will cause problems.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter