Profile Picture

Y Block won’t fire.

Posted By 55F100RON 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
My 55 F-100 has been sitting for 42 years in the back of a climate controlled shop. Running gear is all original V8 manual. I saw this truck run before it was parked. But, it was several weeks before it was parked. Ive been trying to buy it for 40 of those 42 years so I’ve layed eyes on it every month or so that whole time. Since I’ve had it home, I’ve converted it to 12v neg ground. It now has Pertronix flamethrower ignition. I have put my hand over the carb and have great vacuum. I’ve poured gas down the carb and have it blow out the spark plug holes when I crank it over. I pulled the number 1 plug out and layed it on the manifold with plug wire attached. I then put my finger in the plug hole and cranked it over. The plug fired, extreme spark flamethrower remember, as the compression blew my finger off the hole. I followed this by pulling each plug and performing the same test. I realize that’s not an exact timing science there but close enough to have some kind of reaction. I have moved the distributor from full advance to full retard slowly while cranking the engine. So what am I getting at. I cannot get so much as a sputter, spit, kickback or backfire out of this engine. I’m 72 so this ain’t my first rodeo. Ive had everything from 3’ of fire out the carburetor to a kickback so hard it broke the snout off the starter. I know I’ll have to eventually change the plugs and wires but I’ve never had one not do something especially when it seems all the ingediates are there. Is it possible the plugs (all eight) are not grounding in the holes? Is it possible for a plug to fire in the air and not in the cylinder? But all eight of them? It’s almost like the wires are one hole off one way or the other but why. The truck was pulled into the back of the shop and not touched for 42 years. The owner died a few months back and I never got around to asking him why he parked it. I assumed since he bought another F-100 that he just liked it better now I’m beginning to wonder. Thanks for any help.
Joe-JDC
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Since you say it kicks your finger out with compression, I would establish that it is timed correctly before going further.  Remove passenger side valve cover, remove #1 spark plug(right front as sitting in driver's seat), and turn the engine over until #1 piston comes up on compression, and spits your finger out.  Check the timing marks on the damper to see if they are close to TDC.  Remove the distributer cap and see where the rotor is pointing.  If the timing pointer is around 10-12* BTDC, the rotor should be pointed at the leading edge of #1 spark plug wire terminal.  If it is not, the distributor can be turned until it does, unless it is off a significant amount, which will require removal and re-installing it to match the #1 spark plug terminal.  If it is timed correctly, both intake and exhaust valves will be closed with the piston at TDC(feeler gage will slide under the rocker arms).  Reinstall the valve cover and give it a try.  Joe-JDC

JDC
55F100RON
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (20 reputation)

I’ll give that a go this PM. Thanks
55F100RON
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

With the compression blowing my finger out, plug firing, both #1 cylinder rockers loose (valves closed), the pointer is 1”-1 1/4” from what I assume is TDC mark on edge of pulley. Narrow edge closest to pointer. Would that be 30 Deg or so?
darrell
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: 14 hours ago
if you have brakes tow it.
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Any progress? I wanted to mention checking the firing order. Often people will either try to put number one on the drivers front another is missing the counter clockwise rotation and wire it backwards.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
55F100RON
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I’ve done that on occasion. I don’t have brakes this time so I’ve got to do it the right way.
55F100RON
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

So I’ve dug a little deeper. It’s firing a few degrees before TDC. I set the mark right on the pointer and stuck a straw in the plug hole and best I can tell piston iscat TDC. Not sure of cam durations, but it appears both valves are staying closed on compression stroke approx 220-230 deg. Compression is not a great number, around 65-70#. I should still get something out of the engine. I’m going to finish putting new plugs in it tomorrow. I think I’ve got a universal wire set but with everything firing not convinced that will help.
Sandbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)Supercharged (353 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Pretty low compression, have you tried a shot of starting fluid?
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Squirt some oil in the cylinders to coat the cylinder walls and see if compression comes up.
While the numbers are low, they are not really surprising, given the circumstances.  Assuming that nothing is really wrong with the engine, then compression should come up if you can get it started and running for a while.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter