Profile Picture

ECL-B Heads wanted

Posted By Brent 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I THINK I can locate a set of the '55 heads you asked for originally, but I'm not sure I can accomplish it before Winter. 

The thing with used heads this old can be pitting on the deck surface IF they've been in a vehicle sitting outdoors with normal temperature changes. Condensation on the heads machined metal surfaces seems to cause the forming of what I term pock marks. These pock marks or mini pits form on the head flat deck surfaces over the pistons and in the combustion chambers.  The 'pits' can be a source for pre-ignition in the combustion chamber.  I don't like to use heads afflicted with those 'pits' in engine rebuilds.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Brent
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

Charlie,

Again, very valuable info...I will pay attention to that when looking at the 113's I want to use.

Thanks for looking for the heads!

.150 Stroked Y-Block:327.25 ci @ >1hp per ci
Brent
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)Supercharged (392 reputation)

http://www.ford-y-block.com/stroker%20kits.htm

THANKS!

Brent
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie,

Do you have an ECK-C head? A single is all I would need.

Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 15 hours ago
Brent (10/26/2018)
I am in search of a set of ECL-B heads.
I have a single 471 and lots of C1TE heads to trade with, if interested. Add to that C1TE and EBU rods, 292 cranks and cams,  timing and valley covers, 2 and 4 manifolds and carbs.

Be aware that there are two versions of the ECL-B heads.  Per the Service Bulletin #973, the 1955 182HP Special 272 CID engines had the version that was milled 0.035” versus the non-milled version supplied on the 1955 Thunderbird 292 engines.  The two different heads can be distinguished only by measuring the two center machine locating pads located under the exhaust ports.  They both have the same casting numbers.

That said, I have a pair of ECL-B heads off of a 182HP Special but shipping costs are a real cost killer in moving those heavy parts around the country.  Just contact me via email or phone if interested but be aware that my two heads are the factory milled versions.  My contact information can be found at  www.eatonbalancing.com .

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Brent.  The two pads Ted mentioned on the exhaust port side of the cylinder heads, common to the deck face of the cylinder head, are what you want to check with a micrometer to help understand the shop history of anything you're considering purchasing.  Checking the thickness of the 'pads' indicates if the deck surfaces have been resurfaced by milling to make them true (flat).  When originally manufactured, the pads were 1.000 thick plus or minus next to nothing [.001 / .002?]  Ted could tell you what the tolerance may be that he has seen.  IF resurfaced, the heads should be the same thickness on both heads.  Some shops may have not been concerned about their being milled identically.  They may have been focused on just 'cleaning them up' adequately. The difference in pad thickness between the two heads can result in a combustion chamber volume difference between the two heads.

Heads excessively milled can be problematic.  On the un-posted ECZ-G heads, both John Mummert and Ted speak of limiting surface milling to .025 inch.  ECZ-G posted heads, the recommendation is that they will handle up to .045 inch material removal.  These figures speak to a concern pertaining to having the cylinder head deck thickness great enough to prevent flexing and head gasket failure.

I previously mentioned the condition of the deck surface being eroded by moisture forming from the heating and cooling of the cast iron heads causing condensation in the porous surfaces of the iron and the temperature change outside (freezing) causing expansion of the frozen moisture and forming mini pits or 'pock' marks in the head deck surfaces above the pistons and potentially in the surfaces of the combustion chambers as well.  Milling the heads may not remove the 'pock' pits.  Smoothing the 'pock' pits in the combustion chambers or deck surfaces above the pistons to eliminate potential sources of pre-ignition could be a headache, too, depending upon the severity of the pitting damage. 

Another 'tell' regarding the history of the heads you're looking at would be looking at the intake and exhaust valves to indicate if they are 'original' or replacements per a possible previous valve job.  Ford produced replacement service valves for the intake have had the O/S number amount raised on the exposed valve top surfaces near the FoMoCo raised label. Example 30 indicates .030 oversize stem.  Ford produced replacement service valves have had the O/S number raised on the underside of the valve head away from the stem and near the valve face.  Can't speak to TRW or other make valves.  The O/S number refers to the oversize of the valve stem.

Hope this helps!   Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Brent
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie,

Thank you for sharing such valuable insights!!! I'm going to look at heads that I have so that I can further educate myself...

Thanks again

NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Brent.  Below is a link to the index of articles written by Ted Eaton principally covering topics related to Ford y-blocks.  These articles are all available for viewing on Ted's Eaton Balancing web site.  Suggesting this resource list of topics is triggered by your interest in building a modified y-block for the street.

Ted gives fantastic written run-downs on any topic he undertakes.  I think you'll find his various engine builds extremely informative depicting what was done and why.  Much food for thought as you move forward on the engines for your '55.  Smile

Not just y-block related is his series of articles on engine balancing, too.

Click the link below
http://www.eatonbalancing.com/2000/03/24/quick-index-for-eaton-balancing-articles/

Charlie

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Brent.  I received your email message pertaining to the Forum Search function.  I wrote and sent you a reply, but I'm doubting that you received it.

The Forum email and PM (personal message) system seems to work for some accounts and not for others in my experience.  Example, I sent Jim with his '56 'Bird parts Technical Section source info inquiry an email and PM (personal message)  yesterday.  He reported not getting either!

IF you did not get my email to you that I sent today, please consider sending me your email address at my home address and I'll resend the info directly to you.

Send your Internet address to me at  cncbrown2@gmail.com

Thanks,
Charlie

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Brent
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Charlie,

Just checked and I got your msg. I will try to search soon when I get a free moment. Please have another look at the decoding topic. I will post new info in a few.

THANKS as always.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter