Profile Picture

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted in neutral.

Posted By Joe D 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted...

Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The distributor vacuum advance is hooked up to a port on the rear carb. I also tried the manifold vacuum and also plugging vacuum advance off and did not really notice any difference in performance so I hooked it back up the way it was when I bought the truck.
When performing the lip vacuum test, I varied the vacuum applied to the diaphragm and the plate seemed to slide back and forth with no binding or erratic movements. However, after performing this test procedure, I did feel a little light headed and I needed to sit down for awhile !!  Smile

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Joe, do you open it up every so often? I do about once a month. You need to flow fuel thru all 8 barrels. That's what happened to a lot of 3-2 and 2-4 sets ups from the factory. Grandma didn't do it. Fords Y's were not progressive as Ted said and Carters and Rochesters have fairly long arms on their floats which do change on a vibrating/running engine. I haven't touched mine in 5 yrs after synconizing them and other than a little less fuel milage I see no reason to remove them. It also sounds like you also have a minor vacuum leak. Check the bottoms of your carbs really close when installing the isolation plates. I'd run a flat body file over both and check the manifold surface too.
Remember to get 4 new gaskets ( small base) I thing the guy who I got my plates from sold them. They should be soft..not crispy critters.. that will make the best seal.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

I do open her up often. Today is the third day I drove her into work this week and it's 21 miles of highway driving each way. I'll look over the carbs real good and have a someone else check them as well since I'm a novice. I'll keep you updated. Yesterday while adjusting the idle on the front carb I heard a whistling sound but could not figure out where it was coming from? Maybe from inside the carb throat since I have the air cleaners off.
Thanks again! I'll keep you Y-Blockers updated.
Joe D (The Frig)

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Don't forget to get back as I wish to know what you finally come across... Wink

Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f74513a2-9e55-46de-880b-b71d.png

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

KULTULZ (10/30/2018)
Joe-

Did this 8V setup come with the truck or you bought the set as a take-off and installed them yourself?

Regarding balancing carbs, watch this- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzjAyHAl0A

That's a cool video. I'm gone make one of those instruments!
Thanks, Joe D

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (10/30/2018)
A lot has been discussed here. Teds response saying both need to be set up to work at idle definately worked for me. If your going to keep them and I would you might want what I show in the enclosed photos. It is an Edelbrock Uni-Syn for synconizing mult-carb engines. All 3 parts I made mine from are available from Summit and others. The aluminum cap is for a 5-1/8" carb with a 1-1/4" hole in it and the black adapter is plastic for a 4-7/8" carb to to the top cap. Its attached with RTV. About $45 for odd the parts. Once I set mine I've checked it only one other time. The number isn't as important as them being equal.

Thanks I'm going to make one of those!
He is adjusting the mix screws right, not just the idle?

Joe D

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Well, actually both. You disconnect the linkage(s) and adjust mixture on each carb to get the best idle and then use the UNI-SYN to match balance/same idle speed. Then you go to the linkage(s). Then re-check with the UNI-SYN.

The trouble is with solids and multi carb, you need to go over it frequently to keep all in tune.

Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Kultultz!
I ordered a uni sync and vacuum gage test kit and received the insulated spacers and gaskets yesterday.

DryLakesRacer
The gaskets are nice and spongy and not crispy critters!
Should these gaskets be sealed with Gaskacinch or just put on dry as they come?

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Dry and make sure both carb(s) and intake carb pad(s) are clean and flat.

Torque to spec.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter