Profile Picture

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted in neutral.

Posted By Joe D 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

292 Y block with dual quad carter carbs stalls when trans is shifted...

Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
There is not a sock filter. just a pick up tube. I installed a new aluminum 17 gal tank under where the spare tire went. Also all new SS braided fuel lines, Summit cartridge type high flow fuel filter near tank (suction side of pump), and a new Edelbrock fuel pump (6 psi).

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)Supercharged (439 reputation)

Thanks Kultulz, I'm going to try get a tank of aviation gasoline (no ethanol) from a local landscape equipment company.
Going to check spacers. I don't think they are aluminum though. I'll let you know.

This was really helpful!

Joe D

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I checked and the spacers are aluminum and the gaskets are steel. Do they sell stock material that you can cut yourself. Should I make these as thick as possible to fit under hood? Maybe 1, 2, or 3". I do have room.

Thanks

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 9 hours ago
Steel gaskets?  You sure?

Lawrenceville, GA
Joe D
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

It seems that way since a magnet would not stick to aluminum spacer but did stick to side of top and bottom gaskets.

Thanks a cool truck by the way!

Joe D (The Frig)
1960 F-100 - 292 Y-Block
Philly Burbs
KULTULZ
This post has been flagged as an answer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Try this for gasoline-

https://www.pure-gas.org/

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

"Steel gaskets?  You sure?"

It must be those combination fiber/steel mesh like gaskets.    

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

"Do they sell stock material that you can cut yourself. Should I make these as thick as possible to fit under hood? Maybe 1, 2, or 3". I do have room."

Yes, they sell sheet stock if you want to make your own. Usually, you want just 1/4" as raising the spacer height may play with plenum volume.

Here is a set of store bought - https://www.dashman.net/product.html?id=207

Just isolate the problem before throwing money at it. I don't want you to get mad at me.

Did you say you have an inline filter before the mechanical pump? What micron size?

What is the application, a pickup with a "292"?

Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
Your problem sounds like a vaccuum leak, not a fuel problem.
kevink1955
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)Supercharged (426 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Did anyone pick this up from the first post
"Does restart with foot to the floor and engine recovers and idles normal after a minute or so"

It's not starving for fuel, it's flooding most likely from fuel boiling in the bowls. insulated carb spacers may help.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter