Profile Picture

Cam End Play

Posted By Florida_Phil 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Here's some text from John Mummert's Y Block Assembly errors.

Cam thrust. It appears that Ford used 2 different thickness thrust washers and plates on the cam. With the wrong combination there will be no end play in the cam. Ensure .004" movement during assembly.

I am concerned that I do not have enough cam end play.  Can anyone give me some advice on this subject?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Why do you think that you don't have enough?  If the engine turns easily, then you at least have some.  The only way to check is to pull the timing cover and measure with a dial indicator.

A cam plug which is installed too deep can take up the play as well.

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think the .004 clearance is need to allow for heat expansion and room for oil to get between the retainer and gear, but I could be wrong and someone will correct me.
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Florida_Phil.  While you're at it, consider modifying the camshaft retainer.  Give thought to where you put the grooves.  Consider 10, 4, 2, and 8 o'clock as locations.  Grooves do not need to be deep . . .

Notching the cam bearing plate allows oil to better lube the end of the cam.  Look closely and you can see the ring where the cam scored the plate due to lack of adequate oil lubrication.

Hope this helps!  Smile

Hmmmm.  The picture did not make the posting.  Crazy

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Ted
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
I target for 0.005” +/- 0.001” for camshaft end play.  This is easily measured before installing the camshaft by measuring the difference in the cam thrust plate and cam thrust washer thicknesses.  The cam thrust washer obviously must be thicker than the thrust plate and not the other way around.  When installing the camshaft, be sure it falls at least 0.015" behind the front face of the block.  If it doesn't, then the cam plug is likely driven in too deeply.  It’s also important that the cam thrust washer be installed with the chamfer facing the cam shaft or there will be too much end play.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)Supercharged (2.9K reputation)

I have the engine nearly together on the engine stand.  When I degreed the cam it turned freely.  However, I did not measure the cam end play with a dial indicator.  The cam was not tight when turned by hand, but the end play was not noticeable. I assumed if it turned freely the end play was acceptable. It is possible the cam freeze plug is taking up some of the play.  My machinist installed it. I did not groove the cam thrust plate in this engine.  I have built Y Blocks in the past, but I have never heard about two different thickness cam thrust plates. What will happen if I don't have enough cam free play?  Would you pull the front cover off and check it again or leave it as it is?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/82ad85c1-6def-4eb4-a085-3dd2.jpg

57RancheroJim
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
JMHO but for the price of a gasket you will sleep better.
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Murphy's Law in my opinion.  IF you don't do it and have a problem because of it, you'll never forgive yourself.  Remember, beginner's luck only applies to us when we're young!  Too, you'll only regret checking it if you don't!   Unsure

Old saying . . . Why is it that there is never enough time to do something right, but always enough time to do it over!

Now I've shared with you that I'm old and got my handle at the school of hard knocks when I was young and in a rush putting my first 322 y-block together in the early Spring of 1966!  Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I'm old too.  Hopefully, I've learned from my mistakes.  I'll take it apart again and see what's going on.  Good advice.

Florida_Phil
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I started to take the front cover off my engine so I can recheck the cam end play. Of course I had already installed the balancer, so I had to pull it off.  My home made Thunderbird balancer pull tool broke, so I had to order one from Casco.  In the mean time, I am contemplating how this cam end play thing works.  The engine is on my engine stand and I can see the rear freeze plug.  It looks like it was installed flush and the machine shop who did the work is a well known Ford specific shop.  I have no doubt it has been installed right.

There are a few things that are bothering me about this cam issue.  The first thing is when I had everything buttoned up I couldn't feel any cam end play by hand.  The cam turned freely, so I assumed it was OK.  I should have used a dial indicator, but I was too lazy.  My fault totally.  Second, I did not grove the cam thrust plate. Many years ago when I last worked on a YBlock, I always did this.  My fault again.  Finally, there is a funny feeling to this roller timing chain.  As I reported earlier, it made a tiny clicking noise when I first installed it. Kind of like it wasn't aligned correctly.  I checked visually and all seemed fine.  I degreed the cam and it matched the cam specs perfectly.

Finally, I'm not sure about the cam washers and thrust plate.  I have two engines and my engine may be a mixture from both. Having worked on mostly FEs, the Yblock arrangement seems a bit strange.  The first washer next to the cam fits into the thrust plate itself.  I assume it's suppose to fit tight and not rotate inside the thrust plate?  I looked for a beveled edge and I couldn't see one, so it may be installed backwards. This engine does not have the counterweight spacer in front of the cam, it has another spacer.  There is a third spacer between the cam bolt washer and the fuel pump eccentric. With this arrangement, is the cam end play determined by the thickness of the thrust plate and washers?  Are there different thickness plates or washers?  I should have the balancer off on Monday and will be able to take a better look.  Everything could be just fine and I am worrying about nothing.  At least I'll know.  Thanks for your help!

Reading This Topic

Site Meter