Profile Picture

Low idle oil pressure

Posted By 62bigwindow 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
What would be the cause for low oil pressure at idle. Its went from 20lbs to 7-10lbs gradually over the course of a few weeks. I still have good pressure(40 lbs) at cruise and around town. The engine only has about 3000 miles on it so I dont think it's a wear issue. I will ad that when cold it has 20+ idling.

Durham Missouri
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Low oil level, loose inlet tube nut.

Lawrenceville, GA
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Oil levels good. Just did an oil change. I'll check the tube tonight. Thanks Charlie.

Durham Missouri
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Nut was loose but didn't do much to improve it. I'm getting 10 psi at idle and 45 psi anything above idle speed which is 700 rpm.

Durham Missouri
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

You can increase it by removing the nut on the oil pump, where the spring is, and adding washers to tighten up the relief valve. But only if you don't have another problem causing the drop. Is that idle in gear or neutral?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
62bigwindow (9/23/2018)
What would be the cause for low oil pressure at idle. Its went from 20lbs to 7-10lbs gradually over the course of a few weeks. I still have good pressure(40 lbs) at cruise and around town. The engine only has about 3000 miles on it so I dont think it's a wear issue. I will ad that when cold it has 20+ idling.

Have You verified that the Gauge is in fact Accurate?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Car is a 3 speed manual so idle is in neutral. I plan on trying another gauge but I wasnt sure that was the problem because of the gradual change. But with the poor quality of aftermarket parts lately its definitely a possibility.

Durham Missouri
MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Any change in oil brand or viscosity?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
dbird
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'll be looking forward to seeing if you find a solution to this.  I've been having the same problem on my 55 'Bird for years.  The first time I noticed it, we had just traveled about 100 miles in hot weather and the idiot light came on at the first stoplight after I pulled off the freeway.  Putting my automatic in neutral was enough to turn off the light.  Since then, reinstalled the cheap under-dash gauges, which showed it wasn't the sender.  Replaced the oil pump, changed out the semi-worn main bearings, tried different seals on the pick-up tube, installed a higher quality oil pressure gauge, finally resorting to 20-50 wt oil which helped, but not enough.
Charlie mentioned a loose pick-up tube nut, I thought I read that it's possible to over tighten the nut and collapse the tube.  is there a guideline for how tight to go?

We're off for about a 250-300 mile run this weekend and I sure would be nice if I didn't have the problem

Don
62bigwindow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I did change oil viscosity. I was using Penn 20W50 and am now using Penn 10W40. But it was the same with both grades.

Durham Missouri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter