Profile Picture

Vin number decoded

Posted By DryLakesRacer 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
DryLakesRacer (6/4/2018)

KULTULZ.. The 2 photos above are my engine. The photos of the car engine in question on E- bay is listed in the 2nd posting I believe but you need to go to e-bay to see them. I do not know how to transfer photo from an eBay listing. All that is in my first inquiry about the first "S" in the vin #.
None of this is any big deal just an inquiry of what the guys here thought or knew about stuff I didn't. I'm always trying to learn and only claim expertise one my own life and wallet...all the rest is open and fair game to me...

OK...

I finally see what you are describing. I am sometimes a little slow on the uptake.

The ACL's are different. Maybe a bad repro?

Hopefully oldmics will come across this thread.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/fb69a7bf-bddd-47c4-a21c-581d.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 6:34:25 AM
KULTULZ.. The 2 photos above are my engine. The photos of the car engine in question on E- bay is listed in the 2nd posting I believe but you need to go to e-bay to see them. I do not know how to transfer photo from an eBay listing. All that is in my first inquiry about the first "S" in the vin #...
None of this is any big deal just an inquiry of what the guys here thought or knew about stuff I didn't. I'm always trying to learn and only claim expertise one my own life and wallet...all the rest is open and fair game to me...

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

DryLakesRacer (6/3/2018)

The car on e-bay has the same large red air cleaner like the one I show on mine but does not have the 1" lip on the edge of the top. If you can look carefully you can see mine. All the others are flat on the outside edge with all having the dip in the middle. I have seen the one you show used on the dealer kit for the Thunderbird.

OK... You are saying the photos you showed in your post above are from the EvilBay posting of the 56 S-CODE being discussed?

If so, that ACL is correct.

You are also saying the ACL you are using on your car is similar and not as shown? If not can you provide a photo?

Remember now, I am old and fragile. I may not understand correctly what you are describing.

OH!

I think I finally figured out why the seller(s) is describing the car as they are if anyone is interested..

DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

The car on e-bay has the same large red air cleaner like the one I show on mine but does not have the 1" lip on the edge of the top. If you can look carefully you can see mine. All the others are flat on the outside edge with all having the dip in the middle. I have seen the one you show used on the dealer kit for the Thunderbird.
I agree with what you are saying about Oldmics.He sold me mine and was very helpful. He is a fountain of knowledge and if he sees the car in question can probably make sense of it all.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

No, your ACL is correct for the 56 FORD kit and there were repros made I believe (oldmics would know for sure).

Your 8V intake, is it FORD or EDEL/EDMUNDS? The heater control valve placement is indicative of the 56 MERC kit release.

Below is a photo of the 56 BIRD kit ACL Is this what you were describing?

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/cf969050-0523-43f6-b4ab-6fad.jpg

DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks KULTULZ. As I zoom in on the engine photo on E-Bay and see the 2 wing nuts on the top the air filter is an 8V as shown. It's my belief the current owner believes it came this way and actually may have had the dealership install the 2 four barrels prior to delivery, that's anyone's guess. However seeing adapter plates in the manifold gives away a modification to me (later carbs). When I did mine I used Mercury type Carter WCFB's but I'm in no way stating mines original when I asked. The Purolator air filter is original and I tell folks who ask is the best recreation I could do with limited seeing them. I looked at the one at Speedy Bills museum of the convertible points winner in 1956 and is stated a recreation too so I do not know what is right or wrong. I just wanted it to look as good as I could and have steel lines and linkages as I would have thought Ford have done. I used progressive linkage which I know Ford did not use.
Thanks for answering.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b818c30b-483d-4817-9058-7ee0.jpghttp://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0c8088ba-925d-47de-8225-f25b.jpg

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (6/2/2018)

Thanks for the info but it's still not very clear. Seems it sold in 2014 for $40k at Mecum but S at the begining of the vin is still up in the air for me. I've described the power package dealer option but I've never heard of one installed on any car at any of the assembly plants and especially this one when you do a closeup of the intake under the air cleaner and see an adapter with a carb with non Ford linkage.

I don't claim any expertise in this era Fords at all other the knowledge of the 55 and 56 my parents bought new and what I read about Karol Miller and talked to him about.

I do however dislike any misrepresentation as I suspect you all do too. I am familiar with replications/clones as with old race cars which usually long gone especially where stock car racing is concerned.

One more thing, are the "stars" at the begining/end of the vin's normal for all or any of the assembly plants in 1956?

Thanks to all chiming in......

The asterisks are used to prevent any additional characters being stamped on the PATENT PLATE within the actual VIN MUMBER..

The 1st character S identifies the engine as a production 312. The car(s) was to receive the 292 engine but an engine assy plant assembled the new 312 to appear as a 292 (rocker cover decals). The engine code was then changed to identify the car(s) for ID/warranty service and not giving the car any hint of a special engine.

It is explained in the following Service Letter-

In TSB 366 dated 8/6/56 there is a paragraph about the "S" code cars.

Para D*2

312 Cubic inch eight cylinder engines - 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline Models

We have been advised that approximately sixty-five 312 cubic inch engines with automatic transmissions and four hundred and fifty-five 312 cubic inch engines with standard transmissions have been used in 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline models in place of the 292 cubic inch engine with the four barrel carburetor.

Since these engines were shipped with the regular passenger car decals on the rocker covers it will not be possible to identify them by this means. The identification of such 1956 units with these engines in this case is made by the letter "S" in the vehicle serial number and a daub of yellow heat resisting paint about two inches square on the forward portion of the engine.[/quote]

The 312 was not installed in the 56 FORD until mid-model year (other than POLICE). The mix-up may have been at the engine assy plant or the engines were shipped by mistake as 292's (the 292 rocker cover read THUNDERBIRD while the 312 read THUNDERBIRD SPECIAL) to vehicle assembly plants. It must not have been discovered until after final assy and FORD had to issue new plates.

As for the ACL. it was the 56 8V POWER OPTION for the FORD (dealer installed kit). The BIRD kit offered the oval ACLfor BIRD hood clearance.

It is not known if it is (was) an mis-representation or a belief not based on hidden act. But it is a real 312 4V car (if the plate is correct).

DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the info but it's still not very clear. Seems it sold in 2014 for $40k at Mecum but S at the begining of the vin is still up in the air for me. I've described the power package dealer option but I've never heard of one installed on any car at any of the assembly plants and especially this one when you do a closeup of the intake under the air cleaner and see an adapter with a carb with non Ford linkage.
I don't claim any expertise in this era Fords at all other the knowledge of the 55 and 56 my parents bought new and what I read about Karol Miller and talked to him about.
I do however dislike any misrepresentation as I suspect you all do too. I am familiar with replications/clones as with old race cars which usually long gone especially where stock car racing is concerned.
One more thing, are the "stars" at the begining/end of the vin's normal for all or any of the assembly plants in 1956?
Thanks to all chiming in......

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Here is the same car (I believe as no VIN is given) @ MECUM AUCTION 2014.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0114-175491/1956-ford-victoria-hardtop/

It seems the present seller has run up against the truth of the actual build date possibly lowering the value of the car and was on EvilBay on an earlier listing..

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

SOURCE- http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Post.aspx?ForumID=3&TopicID=46286&Task=PostQuotedReply&ParentID=46311

marvh (7/1/2010)

I had heard of the same story of the 368 engines being in the 1956 cars with the letter "S" in the serial number however when reading the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletin) from 1956 found something different.

In TSB 366 dated 8/6/56 there is a paragraph about the "S" code cars.

Para D*2

312 Cubic inch eight cylinder engines - 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline Models

We have been advised that approximately sixty-five 312 cubic inch engines with automatic transmissions and four hundred and fifty-five 312 cubic inch engines with standard transmissions have been used in 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline models in place of the 292 cubic inch engine with the four barrel carburetor.

Since these engines were shipped with the regular passenger car decals on the rocker covers it will not be possible to identify them by this means. The identification of such 1956 units with these engines in this case is made by the letter "S" in the vehicle serial number and a daub of yellow heat resisting paint about two inches square on the forward portion of the engine.

marv

Reading This Topic

Site Meter