Profile Picture

Vin number decoded

Posted By DryLakesRacer 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hey guys maybe you can help? I spotted a 56 Victoria on Ebay not only with parts I did understand some but much I didn't. I can't give you the ebay number because I couldn't find it. A search under "1956 Ford Victoria Chrome" will find it.  

The Vin # tag is included in the photos *S6SV179817* with stars on each end. The seller says the 3rd digit is for Summerville and the 2nd digit must be for 1956 and he says the 1st S makes it special. He also calls Summerville a pilot plant. I'm not familiar with that.

I understand how to read and decipher from the code books but this seller says it "special" one of 7 made. You can read the ad: It has a 3 speed which I thought was not a 225 HP as he states.

It has a Purolator Red air cleaner for the dual quads but NOT the one with the outer lip on the top flat edge of which I have heard is a scruby when it has 2 mounting screws. One Center hole was a Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler of which I have photos.

The intake manifold is painted red and with close look has adapters so I'm sure it does not have the original Holley's or any other small base carbs.
The dual quad option was dealer installed over the parts counter listed as part #B6A-9000-B which included all the parts to install it on a Ford. From what I've read it was recommended for 312 3-speed and 3-speed overdrive cars. The package kit was rated at 260HP.

I have a replica of that unit on my 56 and the Purolator Air Cleaner has the proper lip as I understand it. One other thing is when I received my air cleaner the number was cut off the Purolator decal which i understand the NASCAR guys did but I'm sure the law enforcement would probably not do. The one I bought was rough to look at but no rust or holes.

Anyway, Hope you guys can enlighten me as I always am trying to learn about our cars and engines

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
oldcarmark
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
. Interesting Car. Ebay Item # 352367455701.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Thanks oldcarnmark.... Don't know why I couldn't find the number on the listing. I found it interesting to... A few too many options for me but I like the AC unit. Compressor must be down where the old gen was...

Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Sommerville , was in Massachusetts just outside Boston, they stopped assembling Ford cars in March 1957 so the plant could be retooled for Edsel production
.It was never a "pilot" plant, after the plant closed for good in 1959, the letter "S" was assigned in 1964 to mean pilot plant but never used as all pilot work was done by Dearborn Steel Tubing and carried a Dearborn. Mich code. 
I have seen 3 56 Fords with the "S" engine code (2 sedans and a 1 two door Victoria) all were built at Long Beach, CA and all had factory installed Lincoln 368 engines, the engine was listed as a police option.
As far as 7 being build I would ask where he got his information.
If this truly is a 368 factory powered 56 Victoria it could be a very valuable car when restored. 
DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The photos in the ad don't appear to be a Lincoln engine and I've never herd of a dual quad one until the 1957 Merc 368; I'm always interested in learning. NASCAR would have wanted 500 of that option built so it sounds like that didn't happen. If it did the Chryslers would have been in for a surprise. Mu 1956 was assembled in Long Beach at the Terminal Island plant even tho the plant was just outside the island limit. Thanks for your info.

Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I finally managed to see the adv for the car, sounds like the owner is blowing a lot of smoke....
He never says that the engine is original.
I've owned several 225/312 all were "P" codes.(ex-Bridgeport, and CT state police cars)
If the car is a 225/312 then it would be a single 4 barrel car.
Air cleaner appears to be from a truck.
Lastly. that car is a long way from a $40,000 56 Ford.

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: 8 days ago
SOURCE- http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Post.aspx?ForumID=3&TopicID=46286&Task=PostQuotedReply&ParentID=46311

marvh (7/1/2010)

I had heard of the same story of the 368 engines being in the 1956 cars with the letter "S" in the serial number however when reading the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletin) from 1956 found something different.

In TSB 366 dated 8/6/56 there is a paragraph about the "S" code cars.

Para D*2

312 Cubic inch eight cylinder engines - 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline Models

We have been advised that approximately sixty-five 312 cubic inch engines with automatic transmissions and four hundred and fifty-five 312 cubic inch engines with standard transmissions have been used in 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline models in place of the 292 cubic inch engine with the four barrel carburetor.

Since these engines were shipped with the regular passenger car decals on the rocker covers it will not be possible to identify them by this means. The identification of such 1956 units with these engines in this case is made by the letter "S" in the vehicle serial number and a daub of yellow heat resisting paint about two inches square on the forward portion of the engine.

marv

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Here is the same car (I believe as no VIN is given) @ MECUM AUCTION 2014.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0114-175491/1956-ford-victoria-hardtop/

It seems the present seller has run up against the truth of the actual build date possibly lowering the value of the car and was on EvilBay on an earlier listing..

DryLakesRacer
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks for the info but it's still not very clear. Seems it sold in 2014 for $40k at Mecum but S at the begining of the vin is still up in the air for me. I've described the power package dealer option but I've never heard of one installed on any car at any of the assembly plants and especially this one when you do a closeup of the intake under the air cleaner and see an adapter with a carb with non Ford linkage.
I don't claim any expertise in this era Fords at all other the knowledge of the 55 and 56 my parents bought new and what I read about Karol Miller and talked to him about.
I do however dislike any misrepresentation as I suspect you all do too. I am familiar with replications/clones as with old race cars which usually long gone especially where stock car racing is concerned.
One more thing, are the "stars" at the begining/end of the vin's normal for all or any of the assembly plants in 1956?
Thanks to all chiming in......

KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

DryLakesRacer (6/2/2018)

Thanks for the info but it's still not very clear. Seems it sold in 2014 for $40k at Mecum but S at the begining of the vin is still up in the air for me. I've described the power package dealer option but I've never heard of one installed on any car at any of the assembly plants and especially this one when you do a closeup of the intake under the air cleaner and see an adapter with a carb with non Ford linkage.

I don't claim any expertise in this era Fords at all other the knowledge of the 55 and 56 my parents bought new and what I read about Karol Miller and talked to him about.

I do however dislike any misrepresentation as I suspect you all do too. I am familiar with replications/clones as with old race cars which usually long gone especially where stock car racing is concerned.

One more thing, are the "stars" at the begining/end of the vin's normal for all or any of the assembly plants in 1956?

Thanks to all chiming in......

The asterisks are used to prevent any additional characters being stamped on the PATENT PLATE within the actual VIN MUMBER..

The 1st character S identifies the engine as a production 312. The car(s) was to receive the 292 engine but an engine assy plant assembled the new 312 to appear as a 292 (rocker cover decals). The engine code was then changed to identify the car(s) for ID/warranty service and not giving the car any hint of a special engine.

It is explained in the following Service Letter-

In TSB 366 dated 8/6/56 there is a paragraph about the "S" code cars.

Para D*2

312 Cubic inch eight cylinder engines - 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline Models

We have been advised that approximately sixty-five 312 cubic inch engines with automatic transmissions and four hundred and fifty-five 312 cubic inch engines with standard transmissions have been used in 1956 Fairlane, Customline, and Mainline models in place of the 292 cubic inch engine with the four barrel carburetor.

Since these engines were shipped with the regular passenger car decals on the rocker covers it will not be possible to identify them by this means. The identification of such 1956 units with these engines in this case is made by the letter "S" in the vehicle serial number and a daub of yellow heat resisting paint about two inches square on the forward portion of the engine.[/quote]

The 312 was not installed in the 56 FORD until mid-model year (other than POLICE). The mix-up may have been at the engine assy plant or the engines were shipped by mistake as 292's (the 292 rocker cover read THUNDERBIRD while the 312 read THUNDERBIRD SPECIAL) to vehicle assembly plants. It must not have been discovered until after final assy and FORD had to issue new plates.

As for the ACL. it was the 56 8V POWER OPTION for the FORD (dealer installed kit). The BIRD kit offered the oval ACLfor BIRD hood clearance.

It is not known if it is (was) an mis-representation or a belief not based on hidden act. But it is a real 312 4V car (if the plate is correct).

Reading This Topic

Site Meter