Profile Picture

Going to do an engine swap.

Posted By the human wrench 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hello everyone. I'm new here and I will get right to the point. Here is the car and here is the problem. What I want to do is get that unauthorized engine out of there and install a 312 which I already have. From the research I have done it appears I am going to need a Hurst FM-202 adapter (which looks like it would be pretty easy to build) a #600 Cragar or similar transmission adapter for the original 3 speed and an expensive Thunderbird oil pan or a more economical truck oil pan with the later pickup and baffle. I have read some discussion about distributors that the later ones are the best to use however I would like to use an electronic one but not one of those humongous GM type. My concern here is firewall clearance, I don't want to hack it up. I would like to use the "ramhorn" exhaust manifolds but don't know about clearance on the original steering box.  So my questions would be....... has anyone here done this swap, is there anything I am missing ? 
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ac8765c9-e9ec-48e4-9ce6-0f1a.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/71ece2a7-2c77-479b-8490-41d3.jpg

Miracle Engine Rebuilders
"If it runs, It's a Miracle!"
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I can't help with most of your questions.

RE the distributor, you want one with mechanical advance so that would be '57 or newer, or aftermarket.  The GM HEI style of distributor simply is not an option for a Y-Block.  There is not enough room to fit one.  There are conversions for stock distributors, like Pertronix.  If you really want to get serious, you can convert your distributor to use Duraspark internals which will then work with an external box, or use an MSD distributor.  This will get the best spark but also has the highest cost.  The Duraspark cap adapter and cap will work with stock '57 or newer distributors and gives you an HEI cap that will fit in the space allowed.

there are lot's of options for going electronic.  If you search this forum for "electronic ignition", "Duraspark conversion", etc or google the same for small block Fords, the same info will apply.  The procedure could be a little different but the principle is the same.

Lawrenceville, GA
Lou
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Years ago I had a 41 Ford Coupe with a 292 in it, it is a very hard swap to do.
you need a t-bird timing case cover
You need to use a "scruby ii" oil filter.
Exhaust will have to be fabricated 
Tie rod needs to be droped
the good news is you shouldn't have any firewall problems;
miker
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
I don’t have a clue if there’s anything in common, but Rono and Midwest Mike have 37’s and 35’s under construction, they might have something to add.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic81637.aspx

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
the human wrench
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (21 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Thanks, getting some good input. I forgot to mention the timing cover. I am watching 3 on ebay now. Does it have to be a T-bird cover or will a truck one work as long as the bolt bosses are extended? Lou, what in the world is a scrubby ii oil filter? Never heard of that. Do you mean a short Ford spin on?  So far this sounds doable. 

Miracle Engine Rebuilders
"If it runs, It's a Miracle!"
56Roger
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago

I'm a lifelong Ford guy. But in that same life I have learned a few things along the way.

One is don't tear apart a good running car.

Paint the motor old Ford blue or old Ford red, put on some unlabeled finned valve covers and drive it.

The majority of people won't know the difference. The people that do know the difference will know exactly where you stand. 

The truly wise people will know why you didn't mess with it as is. 

And you can always leave the hood down.

Looks like a good car otherwise. Spend your money and time on it doing something else. Like putting in a modern transmission. To me it makes more sense to add to what is there now, rather than undoing and redoing what has already been done. And it looks like whoever did the transplant did a tidy job. Why open that can of worms all over again? 

Edit:  By "modern" I mean from say mid-sixties on up. The main reason the old Ford transmissions got used so much in the early days of hot rodding was they were cheap and common as dirt. Not because they were so good. They wouldn't survive a hot flathead very long much less any transplant. They weren't "good" then and they are not "good" now. A Saginaw four speed would be great in that car. They are out of favor (read cheaper) because so many bad mouth them as they might break behind a higher HP engine in a racing situation. I say might because many in that same situation did not break.  At any rate there are many good straightforward options for your setup. 

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
The forum automatically changes Che vrolet to scrubby.  It's kind of an inside joke, but it is annoying sometimes.

Lawrenceville, GA
KULTULZ
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)Supercharged (3.4K reputation)

Lou (3/29/2018)

you need a t-bird timing case cover
You need to use a "scruby ii" oil filter.

The BIRD and LT front cover are the same.

"scrubby ii" refers to {{{{{ shudder }}}}} scrubROLET?

What GM (other than AC DELCO aftermarket) oil filter fits a 292 (cartridge or spin-on?

MoonShadow
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Did you get my EMAIL about the Hurst mount? Chuck

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

i just completed a rebuild of a 1949 mercury f47 ,292 with 4sped od manual,power steering disk brakes.
 my advice is pull the sb chivvy out ,install a well dun 302 ford. narrower than the sbc disturb in front, parts are cheap and avail. 
 i have soft spot for y blocks, but heavey, expensive, not easy to coax big power with high cost of parts. nice set of edelbrock heads 900 for 2, 302 mu y alum heads over 2000 on she goes.  spruceing up a 292 in a 55/56 ford car or truck is my way of having fun with a  in its tim tough dependable and reasonable power.  repowers, need deep pockets and able to do a lot of the work on our own so be carful.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter