Profile Picture

312 oil pans

Posted By Charles 6 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I have a 57 312 in my 55 f100 it is a front sump. I stretched my front axel 3 inches and have a mono springs on the front and the axle still hits the oil pan. I have read on other sites that the 312 engines were all rear sump. Is this true ?  because I am in need of a rear sump oil pan due to my clearence issues. any sugestions ?

Thanks,
1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I just bought a 312 a couple weeks ago.  It came out of a station wagon and it has a front sump pan.   It also has the dipstick in the front corner of the block.  The truck engines have the dipstick coming out of the pan in the center on the passenger side.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

Marc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
I think I have a pan out of a F600 downstairs someplace. I can check tomorrow .
Charles
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)Normally aspirated (41 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Thanks, that is how mine is as well. That answers alot, got the truck truck after my fathers passing years ago.
NoShortcuts
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Welcome to the site, Charles.

Many y-block equipped Ford trucks to 1964 were rear sump.  '55 to '57 'Birds used a rear sump, also.

Click the link below to see one rear sump y-block oil pan presently listed on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1964-Ford-Truck-Y-Block-Oil-Pan-239-272-292/263480337784?hash=item3d58a6e578:g:r48AAOSwll1aeQMM&vxp=mtr

Hope this helps.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Cars, except T-Birds, came with front sump pans, no matter the displacement.  It is not a 312 thing.
Rear sump is a truck or T-Bird pan, but they are different and a T-Bird pan may not fit a truck.
No Y-Block oil dipsticks go into the pan.  They go into the side of the block for the rear sump applications.
When looking for a truck pan, try to find one which has a baffle.  You can also add one if you get a pan without it.  There are also 2 different oil pickup positions for trucks.  The best is the one with the removable mesh screen, which is not only possible to clean, but is positioned closer to the floor and toward the rear of the pan.  I can post pictures later, if needed.

Lawrenceville, GA
2721955meteor
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
note some rear sumps had issues on fast stops or rapid acceleration,oil pressure would drop for short time  due to slosh.biger trucks had baffles to rectify. 1956,789  f1s in canada had this isue. there was a recall event, the 1 i have in my 49merc has baffles which works well.. extra quart woks swell. t bird guys claim bird pans are slightly diferent. i am not sure tho used truck pan on my 1st 55bird with a 312 trans plant
1960fordf350
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)Supercharged (248 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Since there is 2 locations,  I wonder if both are drilled from the factory and then 1 is plugged?   Just a thought.  I'd also like to see some pics of installing a baffle.  I don't know if my truck pan has one in it.   But when I pull it,  the info will come in handy if I need it.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2e6780b3-6e07-4836-8bf9-c3da.jpg

charliemccraney
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Bird pans are quite a bit different from truck pans.  Truck pans are more or less wedge shaped with only a couple inches difference in depth from front to back.  Bird pans are much thinner at the front, to clear the crossmember and actually have a sump which extends a little farther forward than truck pans.  If a truck pan is used on a Bird, then it is extremely close to the crossmember, if it isn't touching.

You can see pictures of the different pans here:  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/FindPost74375.aspx

Both locations are drilled.  The front sump dipstick actually goes into the timing cover.  A 1/2" plug goes in which ever hole is not used.  The pan in the middle in the post linked above can be found with and without a baffle.  It is a simple baffle to make, if you have a pan without it.

Lawrenceville, GA
Marc
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)Supercharged (231 reputation)

If you're looking for a truck pan, I do have a HD pan I don't need. Located in CT, Make an offer if you're interested.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/b093a47d-33ad-4123-b8d5-9400.jpg
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/09443c98-cb15-4852-9c13-784c.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0a6304ff-aa83-4434-808e-eb8c.jpg

Reading This Topic

Site Meter