Profile Picture

Need Some Skoolin in Oil Pans on the "Y"s

Posted By Oldmics 12 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Is a truck rear sump pan interchangeable with a T Bird pan ?

I am under the impression that there are two different truck rear sump pans.

If so what are the differences between truck pans and T Bird pans.Seems I"ve heard the baffle is different in the truck pan and also the drain plug is a different size.Possibly volume of oil?

Who can tell me whats what?

Thanks,Oldmics

bird55
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)Supercharged (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
the tbird pan is unique to 55-57 birds and thinner in front depth to clear the front crossmember, I see them selling for in the range of 3-400 bucks! there's a big main difference for ya!

wish I had a picture handy to illustrate the two.

Also that might mean the the volume is more on the trucks but I could be wrong on that one.

I'm sure someone will set us straight here.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/d8028aa4-f8f9-4981-9e51-4428.jpg
       A  L  A  N   F  R  A  K  E  S   ~  Tulsa, OK    

slumlord444
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
The sump is in the same place on the truck pan but the contour is slightly differend as I recall. Seem to remember trying to use one on my Bird when the crank went through the side of the block where the pan bolts to the block and it would not work. I ended up welding a passanger car pan flange on to the Bird pan until I could come up with a good Bird pan. The truck pan would not clear the frame as I recall.
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)Supercharged (430 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
there are several truck pans.i have seen 4 but theres probley more.the heave trucks took an extra quart of oil .there was a special one for rams horn manifolds where the dipstick went into the base instead of the block.some early light trucks had a front sump pan but the baffels inside were different.
Ted
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Last Week

Here are pics of the three basic rear sump Y-Block oil pans.  As 314 mentions, the HD truck pan holds an additional quart of oil.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/f95c9dcb-efea-4cfc-9437-be10.jpg  

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e71a7193-5197-4b4a-9540-6ade.jpg 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/893e020b-4f5c-4225-a533-a1c6.jpg 

The top pan is the HD pan, the middle pan is the truck pickup pan, and the bottom pan is the Thunderbird pan.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Oldmics
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
So it appears that a truck pan (even the deep one) could be used in a T Bird frame.???

I am taking heed of the previous post about it not fitting in a T Bird frame.

Any other experiences here?

I would  like to ultimatly know if I can use a truck pan in my T Bird frame.

Oldmics

P.S. What a great site  w00t Those comparison pictures are really appreciated Ted.

NEVERMIND-I SEE THE DEPTH DIFFERENCE IN THE FRONT OF THE PAN.LOOKS LIKE A TRUCK WILL NOT WORK IN A T BIRD FRAME  Crying

Rono
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ted;

Thanks alot for the information and the link to the pictures. VERY helpful! For my application I guess I should try to use the Heavy Duty truck pan since it holds an additional quart of oil.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

speedpro56
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Oldmics, I believe the truck pans are too thick (deep) where it goes over the tbird frame as mentioned earlier thus clearance would be an issue.

-Gary Burnette-

Jim
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Administrator

Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)Administrator (423 reputation)

Group: Administrators
Love it Ted, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Jim (site owner)
'56 Club Sedan - Ted Eaton built 429 hp '292/318, '54 Sunliner - stock '302
Genuinerod
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
They say, the fastest way to the brain is through the eyes, Ted is the master. Thanks Ted for all your time and effort.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter