Profile Picture

1956 ford fairlane differential

Posted By Eric 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Hitting on all eight cylinders

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I have a 1956 ford fairlane differential with 3.90 ratio. Would like to go to 2.90 or 3.0  What would be the easiest option? Is there something else i can bolt right up to same housing? It has 17 spline axle shafts. Thanks
Dobie
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The easiest option would be to find a good diff from a mid 50s Ford that had an automatic in front of it. Those are around 3.30:1 and bolt in. A good modern diff would be the 8" from a Ranger or Exploder however the pumpkin is offset to the left so you'd need to get another right hand axle & tube to center it. Those come in a variety of ratios and custom ring & pinion sets are available if none of the stock ratios suit your needs.
Joe-JDC
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 7 hours ago
Dobie (12/17/2017)
The easiest option would be to find a good diff from a mid 50s Ford that had an automatic in front of it. Those are around 3.30:1 and bolt in. A good modern diff would be the 8" from a Ranger or Exploder however the pumpkin is offset to the left so you'd need to get another right hand axle & tube to center it. Those come in a variety of ratios and custom ring & pinion sets are available if none of the stock ratios suit your needs.

The Ranger and Explorer differentials are 8.8", not 8".  They are completely different, the 8" is a removable chunk like the Ford 9", but the 8.8" has a rear cover, and the gears must be set up in the housing.   Joe-JDC

JDC
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Eric, where are you located? It helps to put city and state in your tag line. I have a couple spare pumpkins for the 56 Ford stock rear end. I can check the gear ratios if you like and would be willing to sell at least one. Shipping may be a problem depending on where you live.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Eric
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)Hitting on all eight cylinders (18 reputation)

Moonshadow,

Thankyou for the response. I live in Fond Du Lac WI. I would be interested in what you have if it is in the 2.90 to 3.00 or so ratio. Photos would be great also to confirm it is correct. I would really only need the ring and pinion I believe. Let me know . Thankyou, 
Eric
paul2748
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
.  There is nothing that is a bolt in in the ratios you are looking for.  The nearest would be an automatic rear which is around 3.30.  Other than that, an early (57-58) rear would bolt in but you would have to find a set of gears in the ratios you are looking for.  Usually, they are available.

Eric (12/17/2017)
I have a 1956 ford fairlane differential with 3.90 ratio. Would like to go to 2.90 or 3.0  What would be the easiest option? Is there something else i can bolt right up to same housing? It has 17 spline axle shafts. Thanks

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
They are take outs from a 56 probably 3:30's. I replaced mine with a 3:80 posi unit. Found the Detroit Gear original 56 Posi unit on EBAY several years ago. Will check tomorrow.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Lou
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
56 auto rear gear is 3.22, all others that bolt in (49\/55) are 3.30. If you use a 49/55 you have to use 49/55 axles. 
What engine and trans are you running.?
Dave V
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 1:45:12 AM
Lou is correct. 56 automatics used a 3:22 gear

SE Wis
Eric
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Lou

I am running a 351c with fmx 3 spd auto. Turning about 3700rpm at 60mph with 3.90 rear.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter