Profile Picture

Bellhousing Question Y-Block to 4 Speed

Posted By schulzcep 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
First Time Poster

First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)First Time Poster (4 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I am thinking about changing out the motor in my sons truck (1960 F-100) from a 223 6cyl to a 292 out of a '55 Thunderbird from my father.  The truck currently has the 4 speed transmission with the hydraulic slave cylinder on it.  Can I use this transmission/bellhousing or do I need to swap it with a different bellhousing or are there adapters out there to make it work?  If this seems to be too much trouble, I may just keep the 223 and rebuild it, but would like to surprise him with a Y-Block V8 upgrade.

Thanks in advance
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 8 hours ago
The transmission will work but you will need a y-block truck 4-speed bellhousing.  It shouldn't be too hard to find.

The harder part will be the front mount.  You will probably need to weld a bracket to the frame in order to use a truck front mounting bracket.  If the engine is a genuine T-Bird engine, I think you can use the timing cover.  Usually "T-Bird engines" are not actually  T-bird engines, in which case, you may need a truck timing cover.  You may need a truck oil pan as well which may also require a different dipstick and tube.

If it is a genuine T-Bird engine, sell all of the T-Bird stuff and that will give you plenty of cash to complete the swap.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter