Bellhousing Question Y-Block to 4 Speed

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic133988.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By schulzcep - 7 Years Ago
I am thinking about changing out the motor in my sons truck (1960 F-100) from a 223 6cyl to a 292 out of a '55 Thunderbird from my father.  The truck currently has the 4 speed transmission with the hydraulic slave cylinder on it.  Can I use this transmission/bellhousing or do I need to swap it with a different bellhousing or are there adapters out there to make it work?  If this seems to be too much trouble, I may just keep the 223 and rebuild it, but would like to surprise him with a Y-Block V8 upgrade.

Thanks in advance
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
The transmission will work but you will need a y-block truck 4-speed bellhousing.  It shouldn't be too hard to find.

The harder part will be the front mount.  You will probably need to weld a bracket to the frame in order to use a truck front mounting bracket.  If the engine is a genuine T-Bird engine, I think you can use the timing cover.  Usually "T-Bird engines" are not actually  T-bird engines, in which case, you may need a truck timing cover.  You may need a truck oil pan as well which may also require a different dipstick and tube.

If it is a genuine T-Bird engine, sell all of the T-Bird stuff and that will give you plenty of cash to complete the swap.