Profile Picture

Aftermarket Iron Gerotor Pump

Posted By charliemccraney 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
I got a hold of one of these.  The most significant difference, aside from the material, seems to be the bypass valve.  It is a ball, rather than a piston and uses a press in plug, rather than screw in.  I think that might  be a better design.  The ball seats in a taper at the end of the bore and is quite a bit smaller than the bore so it will not stick like a piston might.  It should also make it easier to dial in the desired pressure.   If you shim the oem spring too much, it can come out of the bore in the plug and cause the piston to bind.  No chance of that happening here.  I'd be more comfortable with a screw in plug so I'll see how easy it will be to modify that.

The only thing I see cast onto it is W 5779 A and 3 dots.  It looks like it might be based on the ECG pump because of the cover orientation, which is different on the C1 pump.  I'll take a closer look and compare to some Ford pumps later.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/ca9f0d6c-e61b-4955-94f8-c9ae.jpg

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/47652d5b-6946-4015-bf54-4466.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Interesting find. I've never been able to locate an aftermarket one.
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

This one was on eBay. I've hoped to come across one for several years, since I heard Ted say they exist.

Lawrenceville, GA
Lord Gaga
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Not so easy to remove plug to change spring/shims on that pump...seems to be a cheaper to manufacture reproduction.
I'd rather have a threaded plug. If that one should pop out, you're screwed! Just my opinion.

"FREE SAMPLE"
Ted
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
Good find Charlie.  I’ve come across several of the aftermarket iron gerotor pumps but all were similar to the FoMoCo aluminum gerotor pumps in design including the spring loaded piston and the threaded screw in cap holding it all in place.  Yours having the spring loaded check ball and having a press fit plug rather than one that screws in is definitely different; I’ve never come across a pump like that one.  I did a Buick 401 Nailhead recently and it had a ball check valve in the oil pump but it kept the oil pressure at a constant 35-40 psi regardless of the rpms.  I’m in the same camp as Lord Gaga on the press fit plug but I suspect that the housing you have could be threaded for a conventional screw in plug of some sort.  If you’re interested, I could run that pump on the dyno mule just to see how the oil pressure with a ball check valve compares to the piston design.  I’m thinking that the oil could be stepped up to a 20W-50 just to force the oil bypass to work sooner for a dyno test.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

It would be nice to find out who the manufacturer was. More then likely some extinct small company. I wonder what pumps were used on the South American Y's?
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I compared it to a couple original pumps.  It does look like it is based on the ECG pump but it is not an exact copy.  So whoever produced it must have used the ECG as a reference for the design.
The rotors are the same and the cover plate o-ring recess is the same so a Melling kit will work to rebuild, if necessary.

The bypass bore measures .558" with my caliper, so that's 9/16" bore, which is just about right to tap for a 5/8" plug, like the originals.

My observations are made with caution because the pump had already been disassembled when I got it.  Two differences stand out, not including the bypass valve.  One is that one of the cover plate holes is counter bored.  It does not look like it has been stripped.  Another is the threaded boss for the one of the three bolts that hold it to the block.  There is a recess in the casting of originals, limiting thread engagement to only about 1/4".  On this one, the recess is not present, allowing for more threads, which is good to prevent careless installers from stripping them, which I have seen in many aluminum pumps.

Counter bored hole, upper right hole:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/20c0cfcd-c1ac-4c65-90b4-f700.jpg

Mounting bolt thread boss recess,  toward the right side of the pump:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0accd05b-767e-46ae-acca-9705.jpg

To show what I stated earlier in the thread regarding the cover plate orientation.  Iron top, ECG left, C1AE right:

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9745ce7d-f9a8-4f04-851b-6a2e.jpg

This helps to see the bypass valve piston stop extension of the original pumps.  With the ball, that will never be in the path of the oil flow.  The pistons can only move by about 23/32" because of interference with the piston and plug, which would pull it all the way out of the flow but that would only occur at the highest pressure if it happens at all.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/c1e5ea98-accb-45d1-aebe-77c1.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good comparisons, wish we could solve the mystery as to the manufacturer.
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

A picture with a stock bypass valve and components, to see how different they are.  The spur gear pump has a slightly different piston and spring but looks about the same as the original gerotor parts.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/3e745c28-5510-4b65-94f0-4fcc.jpg

Lawrenceville, GA
57RancheroJim
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The difference in design looks like a simple case of how can we make it cheaper.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter