Profile Picture

Alternator Wiring.

Posted By oldcarmark 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 days ago
Ijust installed a Ford Alternator which uses the external Regulator as used from 65-75 approx. It is wired correctly. The wire for the Idiot Light is on the "I" Terminal of the Regulator. Not charging. Is that wire supposed to be hooked into the 'A" Terminal on the Regulator to make a complete Circiut for the Light and get the Alternator charging? Anyone done this with the Alternator I am using. When the Generator was used the Wire for Light was on the "A" Terminal. I am using a 1G Ford Alternator. Using the original Wiring the "B" Terminal on Alt. goes to "A" Terminal on Reg. "F" goes to "F". "I" takes the wire to Light on Dash. Stator on Alt gets a new Wire to "S" on Regulator. I have 2 Wires that were on the "B" Terminal on original Regulator. The large Gauge Yellow goes to the  to Solenoid to charge Battery.Small One not sure where it ends up. Those 2 Wires are where I am having trouble. Right now they are hooked in"A" Terminal on Reg. along with the "B" Wire from Alternator. Not charging. I found one Diagram online that shows those 2 Wire on the "S' terminal on Regulator. Anyone know for sure where they are supposed to go when converting to Alternator. I am NOT using a 1 Wire Alternator because when researching before I did this they are not recommended by quite a few People. Easy to install but not as good as a 1G 2G or 3G Alternator.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
miker
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Wish I could help and I'm surprised no one has answered. Every alternator I've had (and it's not every one in the world) would charge if the rpm went up to 2500 or so. The idiot light normally provides the "exciter' to get it going. I'm one of those that doesn't like one wires either. If no one answers, try over at the Ford Barn. It's a nice group of people, great knowledge, and doesn't flame people for fun.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
Greetings to all:  I have installed a Ford G1 alternator in place of the generator on my 64 F100 and it works excellent. The beauty of the 3 wire system as opposed to the 1 wire is the voltage sampling is at the battery rather than at the alternator. This provides for very stable bus voltage.   I read your description several times and from that will try to help with this if I can.        You are correct in that the idiot light wire will now be removed from the "A" term. of the gen. reg. to the "I" term. of the alt. reg..    "F" to "F"  and  "S" to "S" is as you stated.    "A" of the alt. reg. should go to the battery side of the starter relay.- Should be a small wire and this will be what excites the alternator and is the voltage sensing source.     Now, we need to get the alternator output to the battery to charge it and/or keep up with the vehicle electrical loads.     You mentioned 2 wires on the "B" term. of the gen. regulator. The heavy wire, should be a #10 yellow, goes to the batt. side of the starter relay. This wire should now go to the "B" terminal - the large stud on the alternator. The other small wire that was on the "B" term. of the gen. regulator should also go to the batt. side of the starter relay. This smaller wire is, I think, a feed to the B term. of the ignition switch and/or possibly other accessories.   Hope this will help as I'm not too good at explaining things in text...........JEFF  

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

FORD DEARBORN (8/15/2017)
Greetings to all:  I have installed a Ford G1 alternator in place of the generator on my 64 F100 and it works excellent. The beauty of the 3 wire system as opposed to the 1 wire is the voltage sampling is at the battery rather than at the alternator. This provides for very stable bus voltage.   I read your description several times and from that will try to help with this if I can.        You are correct in that the idiot light wire will now be removed from the "A" term. of the gen. reg. to the "I" term. of the alt. reg..    "F" to "F"  and  "S" to "S" is as you stated.    "A" of the alt. reg. should go to the battery side of the starter relay.- Should be a small wire and this will be what excites the alternator and is the voltage sensing source.     Now, we need to get the alternator output to the battery to charge it and/or keep up with the vehicle electrical loads.     You mentioned 2 wires on the "B" term. of the gen. regulator. The heavy wire, should be a #10 yellow, goes to the batt. side of the starter relay. This wire should now go to the "B" terminal - the large stud on the alternator. The other small wire that was on the "B" term. of the gen. regulator should also go to the batt. side of the starter relay. This smaller wire is, I think, a feed to the B term. of the ignition switch and/or possibly other accessories.   Hope this will help as I'm not too good at explaining things in text...........JEFF  

[/quote]
Thank You Jeff. That's the Information  I am looking for. I will get back into the Wiring Tues. AM. I think this will get it working.Let U know what happens. Just re-reading your Post. To get power from the "B" Terminal on Alt which has the 10 Gauge Yellow Wire going to Regulator to the Battery side of Solenoid which has a large 10 Gauge Yellow Wire now (off the "B" Terminal of the Generator Regulator), I should be joining the 2 10 Gauge Wires together to make one Connection from "B" on Alt to Battery Side of Solenoid and should not be on the Regulator at all? That would feed power from "B" Terminal on Alt. to the Battery Post on Solenoid.. Looks like I also need to add a small Gauge Wire from the "A" Terminal of Reg. to the Battery Side of Solenoid as that wire does not exist right now..
If I understand You correctly I need to join 2 Heavy Yellow Wires together and ad a small Wire from Regulator A Terminal to the Solenoid? 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
FORD DEARBORN
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Greetings   I think you have it down.  Yes, the heavy gauge wires that were on the "A" and "B" terminals of the gen reg. will now be joined together, effectively connecting the "B" - large stud alt. output to the battery side of the starter relay. As you stated, they will no longer be on the alt. reg..  A small gauge wire will be necessary to connect the "A" term. on the alt. reg.  to the batt. side of the starter relay also. I know this sounds redundant but It is this small wire on the "A" term. that is used to excite and for voltage sensing.  Hope this helps.............JEFF

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Jeff. I will be working on this after Noon and hopefully that's the Fix. Would like to go to Cruise Night later Today. That's the great thing about this Forum. Usually Somebody has the Answer to most Questions Posted.

oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Still not charging. When I checked between "B" Terminal on Alt and - on Battery with Voltmeter there is no output from Alt. Thats with Wire from "B" Terminal and Battery side of Solenoid off. Any suggestions?

FORD DEARBORN
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Greetings to all: This is where it may become difficult trying to troubleshoot through the forum. It may be best to eventually speak to one another by phone, then post results.   There are about 3 variations of the Motorcraft regulators out there.  What regulator do have? Is it good? Is the alternator good? If an electronic reg. is powered up without being solidly grounded it can be damaged.  If I can remember correctly, about around the late 70's into the 80's one regulator was for an idiot light, another was for a charge indicator. A built in rejection feature was designed into the connector to avoid the incorrect application. The latest and last revision under the Motorcraft brand was designed to be used in either application. However, that Motorcraft unit hasn't been made in quite a few years. There is at this time, I believe, one made using the Motorcraft name and part numbers and it's probably a Chinese unit which I have at this time not tried.  So, assuming all is hopefully as discussed above, when the ignition is turned on, will the idiot light go on?  If so, try disconnecting the stator from the alternator and try it again. Hope this will help, otherwise we may have to speak to one another. I have never been successful at posting pictures on this site because I am not too good with this computer. However, I can e-mail pics and diagrams to that extent...................JEFF

64F100 57FAIRLANE500
oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The alt. is a new  Autolite(Ford) from AC Delco along with a Regulator that has the "I" Terminal. When the Key is on Lite on Dash is on. I also have a Voltmeter mounted under Dash to verify charging. All the Accessories on Dash Gauges etc work with Key on. I will try your suggestion with Stator Wire. I also added a ground wire from Alt to Battery. No change.

oldcarmark
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Removed the Stator Wire. No Change. The Regulator is non solid State as shown in Picture, Has the "I" Terminal. Could this Reg. be my Problem? I assume the Alt. is good as its new but that's an Assumption.http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/185bd8f0-6b3b-4082-83c8-210e.jpg 

Reading This Topic

Site Meter