Profile Picture

Rex HP headers

Posted By Rowen 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 6 hours ago
Ditto on the negative comments about powder coating headers.  I have seen an engine with scored cylinder walls because of the powder coating that managed to get to the inside of the tubes.  Ceramic coating is the way to go for any exhaust coatings.

Here’s a picture of some REX headers I have here that will soon be tested on the dyno mule.  Including the REX headers, there are still three sets of headers to test here and once those tests are complete, then a forthcoming article will be completed and sent in for publication in The Y-Block Magazine.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e0696429-c790-4664-8063-dac3.jpg 

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Thanks to all for the valuable sage advice! So I have been convinced to have them ceramic coated. Money not budgeted but will be well spent from all Ive read here. So my next question will be, anyone ever wrapped a set of ceramic coated headers? I know, sounds like a waste, but, like I said, as much about the "look" as performance.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
If you wrap steel headers, with or without a coating, they will deteriorate more quickly.  If you are set on using wrap either way, then don't waste money on a coating and plan to replace the headers in 5 - 10 years.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Charlie, wow! I had no idea that the wrap as a whole was bad for the headers. Ok, so money for wrap now goes back in the kitty. They need to last as long as possible. Have no desire to sacrafice them for a short term look. I need to decide on the finish since they will now be front and center. Thanks again to all for the great advice.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Joe-JDC
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
charliemccraney (3/17/2017)
If you wrap steel headers, with or without a coating, they will deteriorate more quickly.  If you are set on using wrap either way, then don't waste money on a coating and plan to replace the headers in 5 - 10 years.

That has been my experience.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Small block
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Joe-JDC (3/18/2017)
charliemccraney (3/17/2017)

That has been my experience.  Joe-JDC

I  spent  700 on a set of  ceramic Coated  twin pipes  for  my snowmobile, then my son decided  he wanted to wrap them  two years later  my  pipes just  fell apart.  A car would  last  longer but the wrap just holds the moisture and the metal rots away!

DryLakesRacer
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My son had his headers ceramic coated on his dirt race car to help with the heat. To protect where the spark plug wire goes close, which is under the headers, is the only place we wrap. We remove the wrap once a year to check everything but they do get wet after each race from its bath. Starting the engine and drying out the wrap has helped...good luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Y blocks have a good amount of clearance for the plugs so I don't think a 1 5/8" header will pose any threat, particularly with the Rex headers since the tubes go up from most of the ports.

There are sleeves, which must be made of the same material as header wrap, to fit over the plug ends of the wire and protect against close tolerance applications.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks guys for all the very valuable info. Received my headers on Monday and today they go to "Powdercoat It" here in charmichale, for their party dress. I'm leaning toward their "titanium" finish. Here is a pic of them raw. As soon as I get them back next week I'll post one of them finished.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

. There we go. For some reason it wouldn't let me attach it to my last post.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca

Reading This Topic

Site Meter