Profile Picture

Rex HP headers

Posted By Rowen 7 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Gary, its in the length of the whole unit. Rex's tubes are longer and actually make a fairly deep turn down at the rear. I think the tube layout is a little better too but never compared them side by side.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
charliemccraney
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 19 minutes ago
I don't see anything on Red's website that is even similar to the Rex headers.

You might be thinking of the Red's dual tube headers, which look like a non firing order specific tri-Y design with crimped tubing bends whereas Rex is a 4 into one with mandrel bends and possibly larger diameter tubing.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rono
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Charlie;

You are correct. I tried to explain earlier that the "dual tube" Red's Headers for Y Block passenger cars is a 2 into 1 not a 4 into 1 design. Red's doesn't make a set of headers similar to Jerry's or Rex. I have a set on Reds dual tube headers my 56 Customline but would not use them on my supercharged motor.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

speedpro56
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Went to Rex's sight and sure enough it put up a picture of Red's header up as a comparison and I thought it was Rex's. Guess that's an oops!

-Gary Burnette-

Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I ordered a set yesterday. Uncoated as I intend to do a wrap on them. Always thought that looked kool and hopefully will help with the heat as well. I noticed on Rex's web site in the pics of his 56, he made a shield to help with the master cylinder, I think that, in addition to the wrap, will protect my ability to stop. Anyway fellas, as with all the other parts I have been accumulating over the past couple years, I will start a build thread along with reviews and pics of the parts/kits as I install them. Be patient, 14 mos till retirement. I will do some Mech work before then but the "big stuff" re-wiring, engine swap, rear end will have to wait till then.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Joe-JDC
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)Supercharged (1.8K reputation)

Don't know where you live, but wrapping the header will promote rust very quickly if they are not stainless.  The heat will also deteriorate the tubing from the inside.  I have personal experience with the wrap on my truck, and it was a mess.  The ceramic coating, if available, is worth the extra cost in my opinion.  Joe-JDC

JDC
Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Joe, I live in north central cal. With the headers as high in the engine compartment as they are, unlike the truck, and our mostly dry climate, (this year basic monsoons, very unusual), I think I will take my chances on that. It's as much about the "look" as the performance. Ceramic coating just wouldn't "fit". Maybe powder coating?has anyone here gone that route? Still not sure that would look right either. However I do appreciate the words of wisdom and when I see a set wrapped in my area I will be sure to ask them how they have held up. I always appreciate all the great input from this forum. Thanks for all your help.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
Rono
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I think that the ceramic coating can handle higher heat than the powder coatings can. Check out Jet Hot Coat's website for more info.

Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Rowen
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Thanks Rono, will do.

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
MoonShadow
Posted 7 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

I've tried some high temp powder coating and wasn't satisfied with the result. The coatings didn't react well to the exhaust heat cycles. Unless I missed something in my process I wouldn't try it.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire

Reading This Topic

Site Meter