Rex HP headers

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic129108.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Has anyone used these headers? If so, please, all the info and reviews I can get. At $690, a pretty big purchase for me. I like the fact that they are 4into one instead of a common pipe like the stock ones. Yestertech has some as well at the same price, but I'm just "feelin" the Rex.
By charliemccraney - 7 Years Ago
There was some feedback from someone about them, used on a pretty stout motor.  I don't remember where that was though, here, Y-block Magazine, somewhere else..
I want to say that the motor in question was between 400 and 500hp, so they are probably the best off-the-shelf header available for the vehicles they are designed to fit.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Thanks Charlie, that's what I was thinking as well. They certainly "look" the part. Quality looks good.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Sorry about the quality of the pic. Best I got.
By speedpro56 - 7 Years Ago
I believe Red's Heads sell the same style headers as well.
By MoonShadow - 7 Years Ago
I understand that these headers will not work with an automatic transmission. Some clearance problem. I have a set that will go on when I put the blower motor in. I'll know more then I'm sure.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Moon shadow, It says floor mount manual OR automatic with "some modification". I was looking at that and some minor clearencing on the shift linkage I think all need be done. I dunno, won't really matter with the T5. I KNOW all will clear then.
I figured at the worst I could use a cable column shift adapter.
By Rono - 7 Years Ago
I have a pair of Red's Headers on my 56 and they are not a 4 into 1. They call them passenger dual tube headers. For my blower motor in the coupe I went with Ram's Horns and will build a 2&1/2" exhaust system (with electric cut-outs!!)

Rono
Interested in the difference between Red's and Rex's as they look the same but I think Red's are a little cheaper.
Gary, its in the length of the whole unit. Rex's tubes are longer and actually make a fairly deep turn down at the rear. I think the tube layout is a little better too but never compared them side by side.
I don't see anything on Red's website that is even similar to the Rex headers.

You might be thinking of the Red's dual tube headers, which look like a non firing order specific tri-Y design with crimped tubing bends whereas Rex is a 4 into one with mandrel bends and possibly larger diameter tubing.
By Rono - 7 Years Ago
Charlie;

You are correct. I tried to explain earlier that the "dual tube" Red's Headers for Y Block passenger cars is a 2 into 1 not a 4 into 1 design. Red's doesn't make a set of headers similar to Jerry's or Rex. I have a set on Reds dual tube headers my 56 Customline but would not use them on my supercharged motor.

Rono
Went to Rex's sight and sure enough it put up a picture of Red's header up as a comparison and I thought it was Rex's. Guess that's an oops!
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
I ordered a set yesterday. Uncoated as I intend to do a wrap on them. Always thought that looked kool and hopefully will help with the heat as well. I noticed on Rex's web site in the pics of his 56, he made a shield to help with the master cylinder, I think that, in addition to the wrap, will protect my ability to stop. Anyway fellas, as with all the other parts I have been accumulating over the past couple years, I will start a build thread along with reviews and pics of the parts/kits as I install them. Be patient, 14 mos till retirement. I will do some Mech work before then but the "big stuff" re-wiring, engine swap, rear end will have to wait till then.
By Joe-JDC - 7 Years Ago
Don't know where you live, but wrapping the header will promote rust very quickly if they are not stainless.  The heat will also deteriorate the tubing from the inside.  I have personal experience with the wrap on my truck, and it was a mess.  The ceramic coating, if available, is worth the extra cost in my opinion.  Joe-JDC
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Joe, I live in north central cal. With the headers as high in the engine compartment as they are, unlike the truck, and our mostly dry climate, (this year basic monsoons, very unusual), I think I will take my chances on that. It's as much about the "look" as the performance. Ceramic coating just wouldn't "fit". Maybe powder coating?has anyone here gone that route? Still not sure that would look right either. However I do appreciate the words of wisdom and when I see a set wrapped in my area I will be sure to ask them how they have held up. I always appreciate all the great input from this forum. Thanks for all your help.
By Rono - 7 Years Ago
I think that the ceramic coating can handle higher heat than the powder coatings can. Check out Jet Hot Coat's website for more info.

Rono
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Thanks Rono, will do.
I've tried some high temp powder coating and wasn't satisfied with the result. The coatings didn't react well to the exhaust heat cycles. Unless I missed something in my process I wouldn't try it.
By Ted - 7 Years Ago
Ditto on the negative comments about powder coating headers.  I have seen an engine with scored cylinder walls because of the powder coating that managed to get to the inside of the tubes.  Ceramic coating is the way to go for any exhaust coatings.

Here’s a picture of some REX headers I have here that will soon be tested on the dyno mule.  Including the REX headers, there are still three sets of headers to test here and once those tests are complete, then a forthcoming article will be completed and sent in for publication in The Y-Block Magazine.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/e0696429-c790-4664-8063-dac3.jpg 
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Thanks to all for the valuable sage advice! So I have been convinced to have them ceramic coated. Money not budgeted but will be well spent from all Ive read here. So my next question will be, anyone ever wrapped a set of ceramic coated headers? I know, sounds like a waste, but, like I said, as much about the "look" as performance.
If you wrap steel headers, with or without a coating, they will deteriorate more quickly.  If you are set on using wrap either way, then don't waste money on a coating and plan to replace the headers in 5 - 10 years.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Charlie, wow! I had no idea that the wrap as a whole was bad for the headers. Ok, so money for wrap now goes back in the kitty. They need to last as long as possible. Have no desire to sacrafice them for a short term look. I need to decide on the finish since they will now be front and center. Thanks again to all for the great advice.
By Joe-JDC - 7 Years Ago
charliemccraney (3/17/2017)
If you wrap steel headers, with or without a coating, they will deteriorate more quickly.  If you are set on using wrap either way, then don't waste money on a coating and plan to replace the headers in 5 - 10 years.

That has been my experience.  Joe-JDC
By Small block - 7 Years Ago
Joe-JDC (3/18/2017)
charliemccraney (3/17/2017)

That has been my experience.  Joe-JDC

I  spent  700 on a set of  ceramic Coated  twin pipes  for  my snowmobile, then my son decided  he wanted to wrap them  two years later  my  pipes just  fell apart.  A car would  last  longer but the wrap just holds the moisture and the metal rots away!

By DryLakesRacer - 7 Years Ago
My son had his headers ceramic coated on his dirt race car to help with the heat. To protect where the spark plug wire goes close, which is under the headers, is the only place we wrap. We remove the wrap once a year to check everything but they do get wet after each race from its bath. Starting the engine and drying out the wrap has helped...good luck.
Y blocks have a good amount of clearance for the plugs so I don't think a 1 5/8" header will pose any threat, particularly with the Rex headers since the tubes go up from most of the ports.

There are sleeves, which must be made of the same material as header wrap, to fit over the plug ends of the wire and protect against close tolerance applications.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Thanks guys for all the very valuable info. Received my headers on Monday and today they go to "Powdercoat It" here in charmichale, for their party dress. I'm leaning toward their "titanium" finish. Here is a pic of them raw. As soon as I get them back next week I'll post one of them finished.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
. There we go. For some reason it wouldn't let me attach it to my last post.
You don't want to have them powder coated.  You want ceramic coating.
By Rowen - 7 Years Ago
Yes sir. That's just the name of the company doing the work. Ceramic coating for sure.
By Canadian Hot Rodder - 7 Years Ago
These are the  Red's headers that I have on my car, they are "Dual Tubes" http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/21390fde-9335-4b86-a278-020f.jpg