Profile Picture

Y block Valve Spring retainers

Posted By Bjmayberry2 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Anybody know what Valve Spring Retainers to use on our Y Blocks? Seems no one has a listing for the retainers. Tried Perfect Circle, Elgin, Napa & what ever Autozone, Advance Auto & O'Reilly's use too. All have springs, seats, keepers, valves, guides & seals. Some of my other engines have one piece retainers and I think the originals were two pieces. I just need enough of either kind to do two heads.

B.J. Mayberry

Old Guy with Trucks
lowrider
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)Supercharged (620 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I used single valve spring retainers from a sbf on a couple sets of yblock heads. Currently running some light weight single valve spring retainers from Isky on a set of ported G heads on my 57 292.

Dan      Kingman Az.      86409
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I typically go out of my way to replace the two piece valve spring retainers with a single piece retainer design.  I use the Isky retainers for many of the Y engine rebuilds but I’m also using Isky springs on most of those.  John Mummert offers a spring and retainer kit also for the Y engines so you’ll want to check those out also.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Bjmayberry2
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)Normally aspirated (37 reputation)

The SBF retainers are too large for the ID of the Y Block Springs.

B.J. Mayberry

Old Guy with Trucks
2721955meteor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 19 minutes ago
i have a box of old stock new springs from a 312 and they are identical to 292 springs,also retainers(2pice) are the same as earley 289,except 271hp had a 1pc retainer.221sbf had smaller dial. springs. have used several sets of new springs for 289/early 302 s for block they the identical. may be different in canadian build /

Reading This Topic

Site Meter