Y block Valve Spring retainers

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic125986.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Bjmayberry2 - 8 Years Ago
Anybody know what Valve Spring Retainers to use on our Y Blocks? Seems no one has a listing for the retainers. Tried Perfect Circle, Elgin, Napa & what ever Autozone, Advance Auto & O'Reilly's use too. All have springs, seats, keepers, valves, guides & seals. Some of my other engines have one piece retainers and I think the originals were two pieces. I just need enough of either kind to do two heads.
By lowrider - 8 Years Ago
I used single valve spring retainers from a sbf on a couple sets of yblock heads. Currently running some light weight single valve spring retainers from Isky on a set of ported G heads on my 57 292.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
I typically go out of my way to replace the two piece valve spring retainers with a single piece retainer design.  I use the Isky retainers for many of the Y engine rebuilds but I’m also using Isky springs on most of those.  John Mummert offers a spring and retainer kit also for the Y engines so you’ll want to check those out also.
By Bjmayberry2 - 8 Years Ago
The SBF retainers are too large for the ID of the Y Block Springs.
By 2721955meteor - 8 Years Ago
i have a box of old stock new springs from a 312 and they are identical to 292 springs,also retainers(2pice) are the same as earley 289,except 271hp had a 1pc retainer.221sbf had smaller dial. springs. have used several sets of new springs for 289/early 302 s for block they the identical. may be different in canadian build /