Profile Picture

Lug nut torque accuracy & legal exposure.

Posted By DANIEL TINDER 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)Supercharged (2.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Not really a Y-Block issue (we vintage enthusiasts seldom trust others to do what we can ourselves), but it has recently occurred to me that the explanation for the continually reoccurring issue of ovetightened wheels (and the resulting rotor warping, etc.) on our daily 'grocery-getter' vehicles is not likely to ever go away. I once assumed that the now common use of calibrated torque sticks would solve this problem. But, after tire rotation at a luxury car dealer's service dept. recently, my front rotors soon began exhibiting the typical oscillation symptoms of warped disk brakes. I realize now, that even if the mechanic actually bothers to install a correct (lower OEM #) stick under the socket before whaling away with the air wrench, he may not even bother to use a progressive/staggered tightening pattern, since no one could likely ever prove conclusively (legally) that the dealership is reponsible for your brake/wheel damage. However, if the wheels are ever under tightened & fall off, they would be on the hook for mucho dinero if the jury is sympathetic (and what juror is likely to have escaped ever being taken advantage of at one time or another by crooked auto shops?). So, from now on I will always double check the lug nuts with an accurate torque wrench when I get home.

6 VOLTS/POS. GRD. NW INDIANA

Reading This Topic

Site Meter