Profile Picture

OIl Testing Information

Posted By 56Roger 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)Supercharged (107 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 Years Ago

Here is a link to independent oil test results done by a mechanical engineer. Very interesting stuff. And a lot of it.

And thanks to Cliff for passing it along. The 25 pages Cliff talks about are only a fraction of the total information on the site.

If you read carefully I think you will come away with an improved understanding of what is going on in that lovely stuff called oil. I know I did. There are no single one size fits all answers as so many people seem to think. Those folks will argue till the end why they are right and everyone else is wrong. But everyone has their own set of conditions that need to be satisfied. The data is there to give you the answer you need for the application you have. For (an extreme) example a number of the top rated oils are race only, not intended for street use. The numbers are fantastic and some people can really take advantage of what the oil can do. But for most people those oils would not be the right thing to be using, in fact they would be the wrong thing.

My point is that a whole bunch of people can be "right", given the conditions in which they are operating. Doesn't mean the people with a different set of conditions are "wrong". As long as you know what the reality of the actual conditions are and you've made an informed choice to meet them, then you are "right". You might even be able to make a choice that gives you what you need and saves money too. 

A couple of the higher rated oils were actually cheap brands. Try telling Joe Fancypants he should quit using his top brand name (read expensive) oil in his hotshot car and switch to the cheap stuff because not only is it cheaper it might be significantly better than the high dollar brand name stuff he's been using. Get ready for an argument.  But the testing numbers are right there to see for yourself. A good number of the big brand names (more $) have products that just aren't that great.

Another interesting thing is that there are two additives that actually do work as advertised...sometimes.  In some oils they make for a big improvement, some not so much and in some they may even be detrimental. I'm going to be checking further into that.

The blog is actively updated, seems like monthly. The last update was this past weekend. Click on the "follow" button in the lower right corner for more information concerning the blog.

There are also sections on other topics besides oil.

Thanks again to Cliff. (meteor)

Reading This Topic

Site Meter