Profile Picture

55 292 police motors

Posted By junkyardjeff 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
I was considering painting the 292 I will be putting in my 55 sunliner as a 55 mercury motor but got thinking of making it look like a 55 292 police motor if it looked different then the 272 that is supposed to be in it,so what I need to know are those motors painted a different color or had different valve cover stickers.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Not sure but would think it would be the same as a T Bird without the dress up kit. I have a '55 4barrel carb and intake if you need one.
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Jeff, there are Forum members who know '55-'56 Fords inside out.

My UNINFORMED guess would be akin to Slumlord's.  I would expect the block color for the '55 292 police package to be the same Ford red as for the 272, and the cylinder heads, intake manifold, carburetor, and dual exhaust style exhaust manifolds (no front cross-over pipe) to be '55 Merc.  The Mercs ran different heads (compression ratio) depending on whether the engine had a standard transmission or an automatic behind them.  Yeah, I'd guess a P.I. decal on the valve covers.

One of the '55 - '56 folks will answer this for sure, Jeff.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

I am going to build the motor to 57 specs with 57 intake and exhaust manifolds and 57 and newer distributor but make it look like a 55 Merc 292 or the police motor as close as I can,the experts will notice but the know it alls at the local shows should be confused.

NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Jeff.  Unless you're talking to a serious '55 Ford owner, other people of that era seldom KNOW what was what.  -It's been awhile, ya know?  However, the discussion will change should you have several '55 Fords next to you at a local gathering.  Unless you subject yourself to a Ford only concours level judging competition, few will know whether you have the '55 'correct' casting code engine block, cylinder heads, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds or the correct series number or stamping on the carburetor or ignition distributor. 

272s look like 292s until you measure the cylinder bore, and 292s look like 312s until you get the oil pan off to see the main caps!  Paint everything the period correct colors and few will even think about something being 'not original'.  IF you can locate and install one of the glove box door Interceptor Special medallions off a '57 or '58 era Ford, you'll have the badge (credentials) for whatever you've assembled under the hood.    Smile 

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)Supercharged (9.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 3 hours ago
At the average car show, people won't be confused, either.  They simply won't know.

Being of a younger generation of Y enthusiasts, I'm surprised at how many older people don't even know what it is.  Sometimes I'll listen in on people at local car shows and cruise-ins looking at my engine, trying to figure out what it is.  I'll ask what they think it is.  The number one response is an sbc.  I've heard more obscure things like Pontiac.

So the bottom line is build it the way you want and who cares about the opinions of others.

Lawrenceville, GA
Rowen
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Slumlord444, so is that intake and carb set up for a manual choke? Do you have the proper linkage? I may be interested in the set up. I have a 55 CV 272 2V now w/Fordo. I would like to go to a 4v.
Rowen

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)Supercharged (6.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Again only a guess.  Certain police cars had an "interceptor" engine, which was on the valve covers.  I don't know if the 55's were that way.  Something to check out if you do the police thing.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

There is a vendor that comes to a local swapmeet that sells stickers so I will check with them,I am going to build it the way I want but going to make it look like a Mercury or police motor. I have a 37 scruby p/u with a 57 235 six that I have made to look like a original 216 and its fun watching people try to figure out what it is when I open the hood..

slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I believe the setup I have is automatic choke. I think the choke is missing. Carb needs rebuilt but it is '55. Intake is '55. Make you a great deal. email me at slumlord44@hotmail.com if interested. One of many things I just need to find a good home for.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter