Profile Picture

Is it even possible to finds a complete and working 3 speed o/d these days

Posted By junkyardjeff 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is it even possible to finds a complete and working 3 speed o/d these...

Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Since my dad bought my 55 new I have been thinking about building the drivetrain the way I would have ordered it if it was me going into the dealer back in 55,there is no way I would have gotten the automatic and it would be the 3 speed with o/d so can a complete and working system be found or would there be anyone be willing to get rid of one. It will be a couple years before I will be starting the build of the 292 so I have time to watch for one and would be nice to find one that I can just install and go without rebuilding but will probably cost some serious money.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
I saaume you're looking for the T-86 and R-10 combo that would have come stock. Post a wanted add here, the ford barn, and maybe the HAMB. Might try eBay also, but I'd want to see it first if it was there.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
There are 2 options. The T86 with the R10 overdrive and a T85 with the R11. The T85 will be a bit tougher to find as they are real popular. I have a T86 with OD that I may sell but it's out of a 56. Unless you plan to convert your car to 12 volt the solenoid won't work.

Durham Missouri
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hmmmm...

Your '56 3 spd. w/ o/d will work in his '55.  All he would have to do is substitute a 6 volt solenoid for the current 12 volt unit.  Everything else is the same    Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Two currently advertised remanufactured T-86 3 speed w/ R-11 overdrive units on eBay.  Intended for information purposes, not mine. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORG-WARNER-1967-FORD-T-86-3-SPEED-REBUILT-TRANSMISSION-WITH-R-10-OD-10-X-28-/351738486851?hash=item51e53f6043:g:2-cAAOSwQjZXPg9E&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BORG-WARNER-FORD-T-86-3-SPEED-REBUILT-TRANSMISSION-WITH-R-10-OD-NARROW-BOLT-/291510061692?hash=item43df5a8a7c:g:OzoAAOSwv0tVZ3TZ&vxp=m

Notice that the two units have different spline counts on the input shaft.

The seller has had a high number of transactions on eBay (over 5,000) and is carrying a 100% satisfaction rating which is hard to do.  I bought synchronizers (blocking rings) from him and was satisfied with the transaction.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Yes that is correct.

Durham Missouri
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I would prefer a 56 and up trans since my 55 is now`12 volts and does look like I will be spending big money if I do go with one,since I will be starting from scratch I will need to find one that has everything with it.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Jeff, maybe I'm just out of date, but that's way more than I'd expect for a T-86 R-10. That's even high for a T-85 R-11. I'd keep looking, I think you can do way better than that.

If you get the right one, i.e., not a truck, with the right length input shaft, or whatever, I think about all you'll need is the driveshaft. Maybe a mount change or clutch disc if the splines aren't the same.

The hot rod reverend mocks one up in his "refresh" blog, might try contacting him. He seems to have a line on parts sometimes.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

The T86 only came with the R10 overdrive. The Ebay listing is insanely high. A good T86 OD will run around $300 and a T85 OD about twice that. If your motor is stock a T86 OD will live forever as long as you don't routinely abuse it. A higher HP motor that will see abuse would require a T85. If your interested in my T86 OD let me know. It worked great with no problems.

Durham Missouri
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

As far as replicating the complete system it won't be that hard. The relay and kick down switch are available aftermarket as is the wiring harness and the OD cable. I have a reproduction harness also if you choose. For some reason it wouldn't work on my car. It was a little too short and I didn't feel like moving the relay.

Durham Missouri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter