Profile Picture

Is it even possible to finds a complete and working 3 speed o/d these days

Posted By junkyardjeff 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Is it even possible to finds a complete and working 3 speed o/d these...

Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 days ago
Ok, that sounds more like it, at least $ wise. I think all 292's came with the T-86 unit, at least my 55 bird did. The T-85 R-11 came behind the 312's, and was used up to the 406's. So it's pretty tough. Unless your foot keeps slipping off the clutch at 5000 rpm or so, a T-86 is fine. Probably lose the rear end first.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Before I get too carried away trying to get one just how much abuse will they take,I am thinking I am going to build the motor a little and want to stab the go pedal every now and then so I do not want to have something that will have to be babied all the time. I know nothing about these trans and are something new to me as when I grew up 4 speeds were the rage and did not want a 3 speed even with o/d.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Jeff, about the only abuse they won't take is dumping the clutch hard. Even then, many of them lived a long time on stock tires without posi. I doubt you'll build a motor with enough torque to break one once its moving in gear. They don't take to speed shifting (to me, that's right foot on the floor during the shift), but with a column shift you'll probably float the valves first. Big tires and posi did more to destroy any transmission than design problems. I put a T-86 O/D behind a 352 in a 59 bird, and at 16, I never manage to break it. Couple u joints, but never the trans.

The main problem is the lack of Syncro in first gear. I live in a town full of hills and stop and go traffic. I just got tired of trying to double clutch into low. So I put a T-5 in. You can break even a world class like I have, but I've got posi and 235/60 T/A's on the back.

With the factory wiring, including the kick down switch, they're great to drive. Add a cut out switch (real easy), and they can even be pulled out of o/d while moving. (There's a couple tricks to that, but my Dad knew and made me learn it).

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Jeff.  Food for thought...
The parts you need are getting o-l-d.  Even though you don't need some things right now, you may want to pick things up when they become available.
Consider these eBay offerings from flypigeon:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-Ford-passenger-car-NOS-brake-pedal-arm-and-NOS-rubber-stop-std-auto-/331740494254?hash=item4d3d4639ae:g:HGMAAOSw9N1VxKYM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-FORD-PASSENGER-CAR-NEW-CLUTCH-ROD-B5A-7525-A-FAIRLANE-VICTORIA-CUSTOM-ETC-/331767798127?hash=item4d3ee6d96f:g:oggAAOSwwTlUn0aT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-FORD-Z-BAR-CLUTCH-BELL-CRANK-EQUALIZER-ASSEMBLY-FOR-MANUAL-TRANSMISSIONS-/231898464703?hash=item35fe39c1bf:g:Q-MAAOSwZQxW51RQ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-FORD-THROTTLE-LINKAGE-FIREWALL-BELL-CRANK-FOR-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-l2-/231843703737?hash=item35faf62bb9:g:7zYAAOSwuAVWvemz

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-FORD-CLUTCH-PEDAL-ARM-WITH-HARDWARE-FOR-MANUAL-TRANSMISSION-/231898461729?hash=item35fe39b621:g:coAAAOSwr7ZW6Aqt

I needed a '55/'56 y-block timing set oil trough and obtained one from this fellow.  Everything is negotiable.  Perhaps you could obtain a package deal on the parts you need or want to secure.

Here's another piece from Forum member Dan Jessup

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-55-56-Ford-Transmission-Clutch-Rod-Y-Bloc-3-speed-Manual-and-overdrive-/262567978019?hash=item3d22456423:g:~58AAOSwanRXgvmr&vxp=mtr

I'd write Forum member Carl Lynn, also.  He's got quite a bit of '55 / '56 stuff, I think.  Email Carl at cl56vic@yahoo.com

By assembling your parts over time, you'll have them when you need them and one set-up that comes along may be better for you than another, too.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
NoShortcuts
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hmmm...  This eBay seller has quite a bit of '55 / '56 stuff including two transmissions.  One is just a 3 speed and the other a 3 speed with overdrive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-OVERDRIVE-TRANSMISSION-56-FORD-1956-USED-/302034312998?hash=item4652a5df26:g:44oAAOSwCypWo8Ww

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-USED-TRANSMISSION-FOR-56-FORD-1956-3-SPEED-STANDARD-/302034313001?hash=item4652a5df29:g:6E8AAOSwX~dWo8Ju

Consider communicating with the seller.  Items don't always sell for the seller's asking price.   Too, maybe you've got something he wants or needs.   Rolleyes

Not needing something NOW is a great position to approach things from, Jeff.

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Jeff I have a 55 Top loader OD trans with a bad cluster gear,probably have a non Od 3 speed for parts Carl
junkyardjeff
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)Supercharged (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This fall when the weeds die down I am going to grab all the clutch linkage,column and pedals from a 55 wagon in a local junkyard and then start the hunt for the trans and other needed parts,its going to be a big job getting those parts since there is a 2 1/2 foot diameter tree right up next to the drivers door of that wagon and probably the reason all those parts are still on the car.

Butchering up everything I can get my hands on in Dayton Ohio
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
Get the bell housing if it has it. Every trans I have seen for sale does not include it. Also when you do buy a OD make sure it has the governor and solenoid with it. The last two posted on here from eBay did not have them.

Durham Missouri
carl
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
junkyardjeff (8/12/2016)
This fall when the weeds die down I am going to grab all the clutch linkage,column and pedals from a 55 wagon in a local junkyard and then start the hunt for the trans and other needed parts,its going to be a big job getting those parts since there is a 2 1/2 foot diameter tree right up next to the drivers door of that wagon and probably the reason all those parts are still on the car.
Jeff I have all of the parts you need to change the 55 to standard shift, if the wagon in the junk yard is to rusted up.  Carl

Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
My '59 daily runs that combo, i is great with the 3.73 gears in the back. I cant wait to 4bbl swap it and see what the 292 is like since this 2bbl isnt in the best shape. The .70 gear sure makes a world of difference compared to the r's i pull with the same 3.73 gears in my '65 el camino.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter