Profile Picture

Distributor 'stuff'

Posted By 82warren 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)Supercharged (156 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Couple of things on stock rear distributors:
I had a condenser fail north of Chicago on a long trip in our '54, it was a new one, we know this stuff is made in Mexico or whatever, not like we used to buy made in USA.  My advice is, buy two or three and have them along... just in case. 
Also, working on a rear dist' on the road is not enjoyable, those screws that hold your condenser are a joke, I solved this by buying a short # 8-32 ALLEN HEAD screw to replace with, I cut a short piece of the correct Allen wrench, welded that to a piece of 1/4 inch rod, a larger washer welded on edge at the other end, this makes a "wrench" to use that will make putting in or removing a condenser a lot easier.  Put the screw on your tool, easily screw it in ... Look Maw, no dropped or lost screws.  Put that wrench in your tool box ... in the trunk.

Another lesson learned on that trip was:   The right-side distributor cap spring clip fell down out of reach and out of sight, took a piece of wire to fish it back up so I could fasten the cap back on.  At home later, I loosened the bolt that holds the plug wire (rubber) block on the right rear, to the right of the distributor, made a slotted tin piece, slipped that in and tightened the bolt again, bent it into place so the spring clip cannot fall down anymore, Ford should have done this from the get-go.  These rear distrib's are not a lot of fun, make them as easy as is possible.
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Ditto on what you said about working on rear mounted distributors.  Ford definitely took notice of that difficulty on all the engine families introduced after the Y and relocated the distributor to the front of the engine.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Brodie55
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)Supercharged (138 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I always just loosen the condensor clamp screw and slide the condensor out and back in.
Sanddoc
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Sorry I'm a big fan of going to the pertronix  unit...There are just some things on engines, that are too old school..
 sorry you had the trouble, I've been there  a few times... I guess most of have been..
Best
oldcarmark
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)Supercharged (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
If You go with Pertronix ( I did) its still a good idea to carry the stock Points and Condensor in the Trunk just in case. Might get U out of trouble at some Point. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/a82cee8f-be33-4d66-b65d-fcd8.jpg  http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/339ed844-0bc3-4c73-8368-5dd3.jpg
Meandean
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I could never get the Pertronix to work on my 6 Volt car.  The starter drew too much voltage such that there wasn't enough going to the ignition to make it spark. 

Basically I'd hit the starter and the instant I let go of the key, the engine would kick.  Maybe start but usually not.  Tried everything.  Never could get it to start on cranking.  Back to points...
Lord Gaga
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)Supercharged (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
[quote]Meandean (8/28/2016)
I could never get the Pertronix to work on my 6 Volt car.  The starter drew too much voltage such that there wasn't enough going to the ignition to make it spark. 

Ditto on that. Had the same experience.....might work with an 8v battery?
Good idea Warren. I would also magnetize the allen wrench.

"FREE SAMPLE"
Shaggy
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)Supercharged (316 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
This post reminds me i dont even know what kind of electonic conversion is in my 292 that i daily(otherwise i run a L79 el camino)... For me i try to simplify all my rigs, early mallory dual points for all, but mallory points themselves dont hold a candle to napa echlin but i cant remember the part number  either...

Anyway when i get my y-block "fixed" i wont have an issue, i'll keep ignition parts for my early hemi's, flatheads,303 olds's,  ect in the same tool box and ignition wise it should all be the same stuff(mallory did switch points a few times so i will have a couple sets)

Funny thing is the only thing i want ford type points in is the grant flamethrower i blew up for the 302 C.hevy i'm building. BTW those counterweights can hit the screws that hold the unit togather and grenade, they did while in my face on my distributor machine.
2721955meteor
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
converted my 57 ranchero to ford dura spark2,worked greater the last year. just finished converting #2 y to duraspark(48merk F47 with 292 y.
Meandean
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)Supercharged (464 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I'd not heard of an 8V battery as an option.
Since I'm coming from no knowledge on this - is this really a realistic option?
Will it negatively (ha ha, negatively) affect anything on the car?
Will the stock generator keep it charged?
Will it actually give more oomph - such that I could use the Pertronix.  I would love to go pointless!

My existing 6V battery seems fine, but I know it's at least 4 years old.  If going to an 8V is a viable option I'd definitely go for it when needing a new one.

I was never much on understanding electricity or the science (or magic) involved.  So I decided to major in Civil Engineer, not EE.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter