Distributor 'stuff'

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic122739.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By 82warren - 8 Years Ago
Couple of things on stock rear distributors:
I had a condenser fail north of Chicago on a long trip in our '54, it was a new one, we know this stuff is made in Mexico or whatever, not like we used to buy made in USA.  My advice is, buy two or three and have them along... just in case. 
Also, working on a rear dist' on the road is not enjoyable, those screws that hold your condenser are a joke, I solved this by buying a short # 8-32 ALLEN HEAD screw to replace with, I cut a short piece of the correct Allen wrench, welded that to a piece of 1/4 inch rod, a larger washer welded on edge at the other end, this makes a "wrench" to use that will make putting in or removing a condenser a lot easier.  Put the screw on your tool, easily screw it in ... Look Maw, no dropped or lost screws.  Put that wrench in your tool box ... in the trunk.

Another lesson learned on that trip was:   The right-side distributor cap spring clip fell down out of reach and out of sight, took a piece of wire to fish it back up so I could fasten the cap back on.  At home later, I loosened the bolt that holds the plug wire (rubber) block on the right rear, to the right of the distributor, made a slotted tin piece, slipped that in and tightened the bolt again, bent it into place so the spring clip cannot fall down anymore, Ford should have done this from the get-go.  These rear distrib's are not a lot of fun, make them as easy as is possible.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
Ditto on what you said about working on rear mounted distributors.  Ford definitely took notice of that difficulty on all the engine families introduced after the Y and relocated the distributor to the front of the engine.
By Brodie55 - 8 Years Ago
I always just loosen the condensor clamp screw and slide the condensor out and back in.
By Sanddoc - 8 Years Ago
Sorry I'm a big fan of going to the pertronix  unit...There are just some things on engines, that are too old school..
 sorry you had the trouble, I've been there  a few times... I guess most of have been..
Best
By oldcarmark - 8 Years Ago
If You go with Pertronix ( I did) its still a good idea to carry the stock Points and Condensor in the Trunk just in case. Might get U out of trouble at some Point. 
By Meandean - 8 Years Ago
I could never get the Pertronix to work on my 6 Volt car.  The starter drew too much voltage such that there wasn't enough going to the ignition to make it spark. 

Basically I'd hit the starter and the instant I let go of the key, the engine would kick.  Maybe start but usually not.  Tried everything.  Never could get it to start on cranking.  Back to points...
By Lord Gaga - 8 Years Ago
[quote]Meandean (8/28/2016)
I could never get the Pertronix to work on my 6 Volt car.  The starter drew too much voltage such that there wasn't enough going to the ignition to make it spark. 

Ditto on that. Had the same experience.....might work with an 8v battery?
Good idea Warren. I would also magnetize the allen wrench.
By Shaggy - 8 Years Ago
This post reminds me i dont even know what kind of electonic conversion is in my 292 that i daily(otherwise i run a L79 el camino)... For me i try to simplify all my rigs, early mallory dual points for all, but mallory points themselves dont hold a candle to napa echlin but i cant remember the part number  either...

Anyway when i get my y-block "fixed" i wont have an issue, i'll keep ignition parts for my early hemi's, flatheads,303 olds's,  ect in the same tool box and ignition wise it should all be the same stuff(mallory did switch points a few times so i will have a couple sets)

Funny thing is the only thing i want ford type points in is the grant flamethrower i blew up for the 302 C.hevy i'm building. BTW those counterweights can hit the screws that hold the unit togather and grenade, they did while in my face on my distributor machine.
By 2721955meteor - 8 Years Ago
converted my 57 ranchero to ford dura spark2,worked greater the last year. just finished converting #2 y to duraspark(48merk F47 with 292 y.
I'd not heard of an 8V battery as an option.
Since I'm coming from no knowledge on this - is this really a realistic option?
Will it negatively (ha ha, negatively) affect anything on the car?
Will the stock generator keep it charged?
Will it actually give more oomph - such that I could use the Pertronix.  I would love to go pointless!

My existing 6V battery seems fine, but I know it's at least 4 years old.  If going to an 8V is a viable option I'd definitely go for it when needing a new one.

I was never much on understanding electricity or the science (or magic) involved.  So I decided to major in Civil Engineer, not EE.
By PF Arcand - 8 Years Ago
I've heard about the 8 Volt battery idea before, however, the question has been asked, how do you keep it charged with a 6 volt generator? Also, most battery chargers dont' have an 8 Volt position, so ah.. ??..  And for someone who drives their vintage car a lot, I can see their desire to convert to a Pertronix or other electronic ignition setup. However, on the other hand,  I've seen several posts about failures with those setups.. As Old car mark suggests, I'd keep a points & condesor set available in your glove box or trunk tool box.. along with ignition wrenches a feeler guage & maybe a pen style magnet..     
I read several things on-line about the 8V battery option.  Sounds like it's not really a practical long term solution.

Most seem to think a good Optima brand 6V battery and good battery/starter cables should be good enough.  My cables seem very thick and stout and based on the rest of the car, I doubt they are anything but 100% correct.  I see there are replacement cables available but wouldn't like to go through the expense and work to change it, and put the Pertronix back in if it doesn't work.

After reading I'm not the only one who could not use the 6V Pertronix

I was wondering if anyone HAS had success using one on a vintage Y-Block?
By 2721955meteor - 8 Years Ago
have your 6volt reg setup to say9 volts so as to keep the 6volt at max charge. some ford tractors had 8volt system so a reg off a tractor would keep the 8volt charged.  to get a full charge the reg should be at least 2volts over the battery voltage
By DryLakesRacer - 8 Years Ago
The generator can easily put out enough voltage to keep an 8 volt battery charged. When I was young I worked for Sears in the Auto Service Dept. and we adjusted the regulators to keep them charged. I've even adjusted the 12 volt regulator on my 56. It's done by adjusting the spring "clips" tension and it does not take much. The most important thing is you MUST set the cover on either by holding or screwing it on after the adjustments as it does change with the cover on. An 8 volt system is just a crutch and I would not recommend it unless al else fails. I use the pertronix system and carry all the original parts just in case. I changed because of 2 condenser failures. Good Luck.
While on the topic of condensers, here's another thought. My friend with a '41 Bu-hog (all stock orig.) was having ignition problems and tired a Pertronics unit (6v neg. grnd.) that he didn't like and went back to points. He started having condenser problems so I installed a .22 uF film type CAPACITOR  remotely next to the coil. He hasn't had any problems since. I believe that there are some of these small enough to fit inside a Y-Block distributor with a little adaptation.
H
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/0dc9a085-4224-4bfd-ac6e-2bc2.jpgah
Here's what I'm talking about. This one is .85 x 2.08". Put shrink wrap on leads, one goes to the points terminal and the other to ground. Should last "forever". Cost around 3 bucks.
Just to get clarification, Gaga.  Are you saying he installed the capacitor so then was able to successfully use the Pertronix system?

Is that what holds a little bit of extra 'oomph' so there's enough spark to hit the plugs while cranking the starter so it will successfully start?

Like I said before, my knowledge of electrics is flawed so I kinda need it spelled out.  Thanks
Dean, It was installed with the stock breaker points ignition to eliminate possible problems with new poorly made and prone to fail condensers. As far as extra "oomph"  goes, I don't think so. But like you, my electronic knowledge is limited. The main purpose of the installation was to ensure reliability and long life.

HERE'S THE COMPLETE SKINNY;
http://www.smokstak.com/articles/capacitors.html
By Allan McMurtry - 8 Years Ago
Regarding the old post about the 8 volt battery.  I put one in my 1955 Tbird, about 45 years ago.  Made the car start faster.  Took at date to a play 80 miles north.  Lights were really bright, angered all motorists I passed in either direction.  But I saw everything ahead of me, for miles.  We saw the play and started back.  Bing.  Out goes one of the headlights.  Wow, that wasn't expected.  I slowed down a little and kept going.  My date was concerned about it.  No sweat says I, about 30 seconds later the 2nd headlight burns out.  She became very concerned when I pointed out that it was a full moon, and I could see what was ahead.  Lots of fidgeting and exclamatory verbiage from her as we slowly pulled into a town where my grandmother lived.  I drove to her house, a town of 4,000, woke her up, borrowed her car, took my date home who wanted nothing to do anymore with me or my cars.  I got up the next day, went back to grandma's house, picked up the 55 'bird, and drove home, where I immediately pulled out the 8 volt, reinstalled the 6v, bought new light bulbs, installed same, and went into the house.  I was too tired to throw anything.

I wished it would have worked, but I figured I would start burning out more expensive equipment.  I was told that there existed a way to start on 8v and run on 6v.  I bought 4 solenoids according to instructions to set up an electric field that would accomplish that.  I assure you, it didn't work.  Maybe in the days since we landed on the moon, somebody has made a setup where it will start on 8v and run on 6v.  I haven't found it.  From then on I went with a 6v and parked on a incline so I could pop the clutch in 2nd in a pinch.  Really, figure out the 8 to 6, or always ride around with a muscular friend who likes to push cars.

I have gone with the 6v Optima.  Seems better than the other 6v batteries.
I went to the Optima website and put in the particulars on my car.

They came up without a recommendation.

What batteries do people have in their cars (6V).

I have a '55 Fairlane 272
By DANIEL TINDER - 8 Years Ago
Optima 6V redtop (also got a smart charger designed specifically for glass mat batteries from the on-line Optima supplier). Leave the charger connected during times when the car is not used and you needn't worry so much about regulator under-adjustment. Oversized cables, clean grounds, starter rebuilt with high-torque windings, no more starting troubles.

P. S. I tried the 6V Pertronix, but my O.D. solenoid pull-in coil draws so much juice, that when the bright headlights are on the engine misfires at higher revs, so I went back to points. Converted my Loadomatic to dual points and bought a large grab-bag of old NOS condensers and tossed all that were out of spec., so no more ignition issues.