Profile Picture

Fan size

Posted By dbird 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 5 days ago
Sorry for the delay in returning here - as usual work intervened...............
I got the aluminum pulley from CVF and had a friend machine off the back groove to shorten it. Pretty close to the exact required location for the Thunderbird.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/39e5c89b-8719-4de7-8f92-9955.jpg
You can also use a steel double groove from a 302 - and cut it off short as well. Looks like the price has gone up on the aluminum version.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/243521ef-0fc1-4333-945d-13fa.jpg

As the others have said - I really prefer the mechanical drive fans - and when I fitted the Hayden clutch, slippage cut the available speed by a fair amount. Plus - when I got the waterpump speed up a bit, you could actually see water rushing back into the upper radiator tank (which is what my 289 motor ordinarily did) when the thermostat was full open. Be sure to use one of the wide opening thermostats.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
jdwilker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for the info. My original pulley is 7.25" and has a depth of 2.5". I've seen several FOMOCO pulleys that are in the range of 6" in diameter but with different depths. I did find one pulley that is 6" by 2.5", but it's a double groove. I'm thinking that won't matter?
DryLakesRacer
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
jdwilker. Greenbirds smaller pulley idea saved my 59 Vic's over heat problem at idle and traffic. The one I bought was 6" OD and chrome from a speed shop near me. I rubbed it with a scotch bight and painted it semi gloss black. Ted E said there were many different sizes for different parts of the country. Mine was 7-1/4". Good luck

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Lou
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
You say it runs hot, what do you call hot?

jdwilker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Hey Greenbird, what was the diameter of the pulley you used? There seems to be several different variations.
miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I've used that style fan, and I don't think they move near the air the factory units do.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
dbird
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Thanks for all the input, I was already planning on the thermostat and baffle and I think I've figured out my problem with fan size.  I currently have a 18" six blade like this,  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-1018/overview/   , which has very narrow blades.  When you factor in the wider blades of a more conventional fan it might make the effective diameter greater than just measuring across the center of the blade.  

Don
Campsite
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
To add my two cents worth. On my 55 T-bird,I used the 6 blade fan from a 1967 Mustang with air cond 351 W engine it fits into the shroud about a 1/4 inch, with about 3/8 of an inch clearance.  works great 

Bob
slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I installed one in my T-Bird years ago. Never really noticed any difference that I could tell.
Vic Correnti
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Here is a link for a water pump baffle that is supposed to help, but I don't how good they work.
 http://www.larrystbird.com/?s=water+pump+baffle&post_type=product

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

Reading This Topic

Site Meter