Profile Picture

Fan size

Posted By dbird 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm planning on changing the cooling fan for the summer.  What sizes are other people using, the T-bird vendors seem to be selling 16 inch, but it seems that there is enough clearance for a larger fan and I want all the cooling I can get.

Thanks,
Don
paul2748
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)Supercharged (6.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
If you are running the stock shroud, 16 inch is about all you can shove in there, based on my 56 Bird.  Go with the 5 - 6 blade that is available if you want additional cooling.

54 Victoria 312;  48 Ford Conv 302, 56 Bird 312
Forever Ford
Midland Park, NJ

miker
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I've searched several times, and can't find it. But Greenbird56, Steve Metzer, had a posting on using a Hayden fan clutch and a cut down larger fan. I couldn't go that route due to the blower, but I'd do it in a minute if I could. Since Tucson gets to 107 degrees, I'm inclined to believe him. Maybe that got lost in the last update, or I'm not searching properly, or he'll chime in with it.

For sure you want to run the shroud, and the repop lower one that goes out to the corner of the radiator.

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
GREENBIRD56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
here is the set-up I finally came up with - without using an electric fan.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/8c0d368a-6d54-44b1-97f0-96aa.jpg

As shown, there is a Hayden #2797 Severe Duty fan clutch, a cut down '68 Pontiac 7 blade fan (said to be off a GTO) and a reduced diameter aluminum waterpump pulley. The Hayden clutch is a "bolt-on" fits perfect, the fan had to be (very carefully) cut down to fit into the 18 inch opening - does not just fall on there but an easy fix with a bandsaw and careful layout. The small pulley is off a 289/302 and speeds up the waterpump - as well as offsetting the rpm loss of the clutch slippage (80%-90% speed engaged - 20%-30% dis-engaged). I've had my best luck - using the big block Chrysler sized thermostat and restricting the bypass hose.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
Vic Correnti
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Back in the day I had a 6 blade fan and it still ran too hot. Once I went to an alternator I removed the 1 inch water pump spacer and after that it ran right at the thermostat.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

GREENBIRD56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I think Vic's comment about removing the pump spacer is the right way to go - and if I re-engineer my set-up again (too many versions already) - I'm going to either remove the spacer or get a modified pump with the wider impeller.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Pretty sure the factory fan on my '57 Bird is 18".
Vic Correnti
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)Supercharged (699 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Here is a link for a water pump baffle that is supposed to help, but I don't how good they work.
 http://www.larrystbird.com/?s=water+pump+baffle&post_type=product

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/7393d096-cbf0-4ed0-bfdc-c4b0.jpg  Vic Correnti

slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

I installed one in my T-Bird years ago. Never really noticed any difference that I could tell.
Campsite
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)Supercharged (91 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
To add my two cents worth. On my 55 T-bird,I used the 6 blade fan from a 1967 Mustang with air cond 351 W engine it fits into the shroud about a 1/4 inch, with about 3/8 of an inch clearance.  works great 

Bob

Reading This Topic

Site Meter