Profile Picture

check your jackstands - dangerous moment averted!

Posted By Daniel Jessup 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
today when jacking up the 55 Ford to set it on 4 jackstands so that I could install the Hurst Syncro Loc Shifter (see my thread on the 55 Ford Refresh and Paint). Anyhow, I jacked up the front and put stands under both A-arms. Once I lowered the car onto the stands I tried to push/shake the car from side to side... and no problem - solid.

I went to the back of the car and jacked up the whole rear axle. When putting the car up on 4 stands I like to do each individual A-arm and then go to the rear and jack up the whole axle by going under the differential like this -

No problem but I got too confident when I placed the stands under the leaf springs plates and did not check to see how they were oriented. How I caught the problem I do not know but here is the evidence -

That's right - the only thing from the 55 contacting the jackstand is that small lip of the nut! I have no idea what would have happened if it would have slid off of there but I don't like thinking about the idea!

A word of caution - be careful in the garage... Rolleyes

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Reading This Topic

Site Meter