Profile Picture

check your jackstands - dangerous moment averted!

Posted By Daniel Jessup 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
today when jacking up the 55 Ford to set it on 4 jackstands so that I could install the Hurst Syncro Loc Shifter (see my thread on the 55 Ford Refresh and Paint). Anyhow, I jacked up the front and put stands under both A-arms. Once I lowered the car onto the stands I tried to push/shake the car from side to side... and no problem - solid.

I went to the back of the car and jacked up the whole rear axle. When putting the car up on 4 stands I like to do each individual A-arm and then go to the rear and jack up the whole axle by going under the differential like this -

No problem but I got too confident when I placed the stands under the leaf springs plates and did not check to see how they were oriented. How I caught the problem I do not know but here is the evidence -

That's right - the only thing from the 55 contacting the jackstand is that small lip of the nut! I have no idea what would have happened if it would have slid off of there but I don't like thinking about the idea!

A word of caution - be careful in the garage... Rolleyes

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Larry D
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)Supercharged (228 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I like to put the jack stands under the frame. It's a good flat spot that's solid with no suspension movement.

Larry D

Winnipeg, MB Canada Eh!

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/3642c449-9b40-4ff1-a7a8-2502.jpg
'57 Fairlane 500 Club Victoria

'58 Custom 300 Tudor

'56 Crown Victoria

'61 Starliner Z Code

'51 Ford Victoria
LordMrFord
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
At last summer's Ford Nationals dragster started to jump sideways on jackstands when Jyrki tested transbrake.
I dont know what caused that but it looked quite horrible and few people started to back off who were watching the show. Smile

Hyvinkää, FI
62bigwindow
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 8 Months Ago
I always put mine on the frame. Good solid flat spot to rest on. On occasion I will put the rear on the axle tube but never on the spring like is shown in your pic. I may be a little overly cautious but there doesn't seem to be enough contact area to suit me where you put yours. I also,when feasible, leave the jack under the pumpkin just in case.

Durham Missouri
speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Frame always!

-Gary Burnette-

The Master Cylinder
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I always put them under the frame also. Besides I can't get my rear tires off my Ranchwagon unless the rear is hanging lose. I also like to leave my Hydraulic Jack under the third member if working under the rear of the car or front cross member if working under the front.

http://www.y-blocksforever.com/forums/Uploads/Images/af13a279-385d-4926-92f2-349a.jpg"The Master Cylinder"

Enjoying life at the beach in SOCAL Smooooth

57RancheroJim
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I've never liked the store bought stands so I made my own. The tops are channel so the frame or axle tube set inside the channel, solid as a rock!
Daniel Jessup
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
thank you fellas for the words of wisdom... i will take your advice and run with it.

Question for you guys that use only the frame to set your jackstands - how do you get enough room to do transmission work such as I am doing? setting the stands at the rear axle and A-arms give plenty of the room for the creeper (and my fat body) to roll underneath the car all sprawled out.

Do you guys have more photos of your cars up on stands?

Daniel Jessup

Lancaster, California

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

speedpro56
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
For higher and safety use blocks of wood under the frame or tires or both. I;m talking 6x6x17 inch wood blocks. When using jack stands under the frame I still use some wood as a safety catch JUST IN CASE something slipped the blocks would catch the car and keep it high enough to not be injured or worse???

-Gary Burnette-

Rowen
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Just a question, what about ramps in the front and stands in the back? Unless doing front end work would that not be the safest?
Rowen

Rowen
55CV
Woodland, Ca

Reading This Topic

Site Meter