check your jackstands - dangerous moment averted!

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic119429.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Daniel Jessup - 8 Years Ago
today when jacking up the 55 Ford to set it on 4 jackstands so that I could install the Hurst Syncro Loc Shifter (see my thread on the 55 Ford Refresh and Paint). Anyhow, I jacked up the front and put stands under both A-arms. Once I lowered the car onto the stands I tried to push/shake the car from side to side... and no problem - solid.

I went to the back of the car and jacked up the whole rear axle. When putting the car up on 4 stands I like to do each individual A-arm and then go to the rear and jack up the whole axle by going under the differential like this -

No problem but I got too confident when I placed the stands under the leaf springs plates and did not check to see how they were oriented. How I caught the problem I do not know but here is the evidence -

That's right - the only thing from the 55 contacting the jackstand is that small lip of the nut! I have no idea what would have happened if it would have slid off of there but I don't like thinking about the idea!

A word of caution - be careful in the garage... Rolleyes
By Larry D - 8 Years Ago
I like to put the jack stands under the frame. It's a good flat spot that's solid with no suspension movement.
By LordMrFord - 8 Years Ago
At last summer's Ford Nationals dragster started to jump sideways on jackstands when Jyrki tested transbrake.
I dont know what caused that but it looked quite horrible and few people started to back off who were watching the show. Smile
By 62bigwindow - 8 Years Ago
I always put mine on the frame. Good solid flat spot to rest on. On occasion I will put the rear on the axle tube but never on the spring like is shown in your pic. I may be a little overly cautious but there doesn't seem to be enough contact area to suit me where you put yours. I also,when feasible, leave the jack under the pumpkin just in case.
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
Frame always!
By The Master Cylinder - 8 Years Ago
I always put them under the frame also. Besides I can't get my rear tires off my Ranchwagon unless the rear is hanging lose. I also like to leave my Hydraulic Jack under the third member if working under the rear of the car or front cross member if working under the front.
By 57RancheroJim - 8 Years Ago
I've never liked the store bought stands so I made my own. The tops are channel so the frame or axle tube set inside the channel, solid as a rock!
By Daniel Jessup - 8 Years Ago
thank you fellas for the words of wisdom... i will take your advice and run with it.

Question for you guys that use only the frame to set your jackstands - how do you get enough room to do transmission work such as I am doing? setting the stands at the rear axle and A-arms give plenty of the room for the creeper (and my fat body) to roll underneath the car all sprawled out.

Do you guys have more photos of your cars up on stands?
By speedpro56 - 8 Years Ago
For higher and safety use blocks of wood under the frame or tires or both. I;m talking 6x6x17 inch wood blocks. When using jack stands under the frame I still use some wood as a safety catch JUST IN CASE something slipped the blocks would catch the car and keep it high enough to not be injured or worse???
By Rowen - 8 Years Ago
Just a question, what about ramps in the front and stands in the back? Unless doing front end work would that not be the safest?
Rowen
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
I think ramps are ok.  I also use ramps in a similar fashion that Gary describes using wood blocks.  For instance, if the work at hand is such that the rampy portion will be in the way, I'll jack up the vehicle and set it on the ramps but opposite the direction they would be if I drove up. Try to find ramps that are relatively flat for at least a few inches.  That way you have some weight on them before the vehicle begins to rise and it prevents the ramp from being pushed, which can happen on really smooth or relatively slick floors.
By Doug T - 8 Years Ago
I think one needs to be a bit careful about placing jack stands on a concrete floor and under the frame because that will make it difficult to be sure the load is evenly distributed over all 4 jack stands.  The floor would have to be very flat, the frame straight and the jacks precisely placed where they will contact frame.  In my opinion it is better to place 2 jack stands under the frame in front of the front wheels and the 2 stands under the rear axle tube as far out as possible. In this way the rear springs will nearly equalize the load on all 4 jack stands.  If you are working on the rear springs then you could introduce some kind of compressive compensation for a discrepency in heights.

In any case I always make sure that any tubular piece to be supported is down in the V of the jack stands. Placing the jack stand under the spring plate or a flat part of the frame is not a great idea. But it is also true as we get older and weaker the chance of shoving the car off the stands decreases Ermm
By miker - 8 Years Ago
Long ago, I raised a car on the front crossmember, and placed the jack stands on the frame. I went to the back, and picked the car on the differential (bolted solid, IRS), and placed the rear jack stands. I'd had to move the floor jack a bit to line it up, and the front swivel wheels were cocked sideways. I let the car down, and rolled under. The jack wheels had bound up, and the car moved (instead of the floor jack) as I let the back down. The front stands were tipped, standing only on the back legs of the stands. After I fixed it, I wondered how many times I'd done that, and not noticed. I check all of them now.

By czuch - 8 Years Ago
I'm kinda paranoid about Jackstands.
I use em and am fine with frame jacking only. A- arms, no way,no how never.
I'm a big fan of wood blocks. Ramps that are the solid composite or have the brace between the up-right and the initial point of contact ramp.