Profile Picture

New Aftermarket Crankshafts

Posted By MontyRay56 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
General Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Normally aspirated

Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)Normally aspirated (32 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I went to the SEMA show in Las Vegas last week and Scat Crankshaft Company had sales brochures on new crankshafts for the 312 engine. It will have the standard 312 stroke, but will have the 292 main bearing size. On the brochure it says that these are standard weight forged crankshafts for Ford Y-Block coming in April 2016. I just wonder if there was a misprint in the brochure where it says it's a forged crank. I talked to one of the representatives about stroker cranks and he said that they were just starting with the standard stroke 312, but with 292 main bearing size and the stroker cranks, if they made them, will come out later. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Doesn't Mummert already offer some stroker kits?

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
Unless I’m mistaken, John’s kits use fifty plus year old factory crankshafts which are offset ground to obtain the additional stroke.  With the original 312 cranks becoming much harder to come by, a new supply of them with the 292 mains and 292 rear seal area already on them will alleviate this situation.  Kudos to Gary for going to the SEMA show and getting the details on this.  While I'd love to see the stroker crankshafts from the git go, I do understand the mentality of introducing a 3.44" stroke crankshaft first that will take factory rods and bearings.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
That's great news! Maybe finally our favorite engine will finally see some love from the aftermarket.

Durham Missouri
charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 2 hours ago
Go to Scat's facebook page to like and share, to show the appreciation.  Sales figures will be the ultimate determining factor, but that is a good way to start.

https://www.facebook.com/SCATENTERPRISES/photos/a.228437667237339.55579.219346424813130/919020878179011/?type=3

Lawrenceville, GA
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Ted: I have a question? Maybe I'm missing something here but, if Scat is only going to make the 312 stroke cranks to fit the 272-292  main & seal size dimensions,  couldn't a full 312 dimension crank,( refferring to the mains & seal area), be cut or ground down to fit a 272-292 block? If so it would cover both situations?. 

Paul
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

PF Arcand (11/17/2015)

Ted: I have a question? Maybe I'm missing something here but, if Scat is only going to make the 312 stroke cranks to fit the 272-292  main & seal size dimensions,  couldn't a full 312 dimension crank,( refferring to the mains & seal area), be cut or ground down to fit a 272-292 block? If so it would cover both situations?

On my end, the demand for 312 main journal crankshafts is low.  From a manufacturing standpoint, the additional machine work required to take the journal size down for a casting that is made for larger journals is time consuming and therefore more expensive from both a labor and equipment standpoint.  If it was a case where the majority of crankshafts being sold were large journal rather than small journal, then it would make sense to simply machine a small journal crank from a large journal casting when needed.  But for the more popular small journal Y cranks, it’s the other scenario which would simply drive the costs up for the more popular small journal crankshafts.

Small block
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted (11/18/2015)
PF Arcand (11/17/2015)

Ted: I have a question? Maybe I'm missing something here but, if Scat is only going to make the 312 stroke cranks to fit the 272-292  main & seal size dimensions,  couldn't a full 312 dimension crank,( refferring to the mains & seal area), be cut or ground down to fit a 272-292 block? If so it would cover both situations?

On my end, the demand for 312 main journal crankshafts is low.  From a manufacturing standpoint, the additional machine work required to take the journal size down for a casting that is made for larger journals is time consuming and therefore more expensive from both a labor and equipment standpoint.  If it was a case where the majority of crankshafts being sold were large journal rather than small journal, then it would make since to simply machine a small journal crank from a large journal casting when needed.  But for the more popular small journal Y cranks, it’s the other scenario which would simply drive the costs up for the more popular small journal crankshafts.

Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Small block (12/6/2015)

It would be nice to have a set of bearing spacers like was used in the 400 SBC when they used to install the 350 crank in the 400 block! Then the 292 crank would fit both small and large main size.

While the bearing spacer sounds like a viable option, those main bearing spacers used on the 400 SBC blocks with a 350 crankshaft were problematic from both a fit and heat transfer aspect.  As a result of that, there was a special ‘thick’ bearing that became available for that application but those were exorbitantly expensive compared to a standard thickness bearing.  If there was enough demand, a special thick bearing could be manufactured to put a 292 mained crankshaft in a 312 block

Y me
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Turbocharged

Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)Turbocharged (54 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Any updates on these cranks.

62 f100 short unibody 292 big back window massachusetts

Reading This Topic

Site Meter