New Aftermarket Crankshafts

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic118400.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By MontyRay56 - 9 Years Ago
I went to the SEMA show in Las Vegas last week and Scat Crankshaft Company had sales brochures on new crankshafts for the 312 engine. It will have the standard 312 stroke, but will have the 292 main bearing size. On the brochure it says that these are standard weight forged crankshafts for Ford Y-Block coming in April 2016. I just wonder if there was a misprint in the brochure where it says it's a forged crank. I talked to one of the representatives about stroker cranks and he said that they were just starting with the standard stroke 312, but with 292 main bearing size and the stroker cranks, if they made them, will come out later. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
Doesn't Mummert already offer some stroker kits?
By Ted - 9 Years Ago
Unless I’m mistaken, John’s kits use fifty plus year old factory crankshafts which are offset ground to obtain the additional stroke.  With the original 312 cranks becoming much harder to come by, a new supply of them with the 292 mains and 292 rear seal area already on them will alleviate this situation.  Kudos to Gary for going to the SEMA show and getting the details on this.  While I'd love to see the stroker crankshafts from the git go, I do understand the mentality of introducing a 3.44" stroke crankshaft first that will take factory rods and bearings.
By 62bigwindow - 9 Years Ago
That's great news! Maybe finally our favorite engine will finally see some love from the aftermarket.
By charliemccraney - 9 Years Ago
Go to Scat's facebook page to like and share, to show the appreciation.  Sales figures will be the ultimate determining factor, but that is a good way to start.

https://www.facebook.com/SCATENTERPRISES/photos/a.228437667237339.55579.219346424813130/919020878179011/?type=3
By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
Ted: I have a question? Maybe I'm missing something here but, if Scat is only going to make the 312 stroke cranks to fit the 272-292  main & seal size dimensions,  couldn't a full 312 dimension crank,( refferring to the mains & seal area), be cut or ground down to fit a 272-292 block? If so it would cover both situations?. 
By Ted - 9 Years Ago
PF Arcand (11/17/2015)

Ted: I have a question? Maybe I'm missing something here but, if Scat is only going to make the 312 stroke cranks to fit the 272-292  main & seal size dimensions,  couldn't a full 312 dimension crank,( refferring to the mains & seal area), be cut or ground down to fit a 272-292 block? If so it would cover both situations?

On my end, the demand for 312 main journal crankshafts is low.  From a manufacturing standpoint, the additional machine work required to take the journal size down for a casting that is made for larger journals is time consuming and therefore more expensive from both a labor and equipment standpoint.  If it was a case where the majority of crankshafts being sold were large journal rather than small journal, then it would make sense to simply machine a small journal crank from a large journal casting when needed.  But for the more popular small journal Y cranks, it’s the other scenario which would simply drive the costs up for the more popular small journal crankshafts.

By Small block - 9 Years Ago
Ted (11/18/2015)
PF Arcand (11/17/2015)

Ted: I have a question? Maybe I'm missing something here but, if Scat is only going to make the 312 stroke cranks to fit the 272-292  main & seal size dimensions,  couldn't a full 312 dimension crank,( refferring to the mains & seal area), be cut or ground down to fit a 272-292 block? If so it would cover both situations?

On my end, the demand for 312 main journal crankshafts is low.  From a manufacturing standpoint, the additional machine work required to take the journal size down for a casting that is made for larger journals is time consuming and therefore more expensive from both a labor and equipment standpoint.  If it was a case where the majority of crankshafts being sold were large journal rather than small journal, then it would make since to simply machine a small journal crank from a large journal casting when needed.  But for the more popular small journal Y cranks, it’s the other scenario which would simply drive the costs up for the more popular small journal crankshafts.

By Ted - 9 Years Ago
Small block (12/6/2015)

It would be nice to have a set of bearing spacers like was used in the 400 SBC when they used to install the 350 crank in the 400 block! Then the 292 crank would fit both small and large main size.

While the bearing spacer sounds like a viable option, those main bearing spacers used on the 400 SBC blocks with a 350 crankshaft were problematic from both a fit and heat transfer aspect.  As a result of that, there was a special ‘thick’ bearing that became available for that application but those were exorbitantly expensive compared to a standard thickness bearing.  If there was enough demand, a special thick bearing could be manufactured to put a 292 mained crankshaft in a 312 block
By Y me - 8 Years Ago
Any updates on these cranks.
By aussiebill - 8 Years Ago
Ted (12/6/2015)
Small block (12/6/2015)

It would be nice to have a set of bearing spacers like was used in the 400 SBC when they used to install the 350 crank in the 400 block! Then the 292 crank would fit both small and large main size.

While the bearing spacer sounds like a viable option, those main bearing spacers used on the 400 SBC blocks with a 350 crankshaft were problematic from both a fit and heat transfer aspect.  As a result of that, there was a special ‘thick’ bearing that became available for that application but those were exorbitantly expensive compared to a standard thickness bearing.  If there was enough demand, a special thick bearing could be manufactured to put a 292 mained crankshaft in a 312 block

Ted and adding to that, as you know, good 312 blocks are not allways available and lessens these ideas. i think remaking the small main journal 3.44 stroke is commonsense approach.

By John Mummert - 8 Years Ago
I don't know when or if the Scat will be available so in the mean time I am having new rods made that are 312 length and width but take a 2" bearing.
This will allow you to take your 272-292 crankshaft to a local crank grinder and have it offset ground to 312 stroke. You will then be able to use off the shelf 312 pistons and make a 312 out of a 292 at an affordable price.
We expect delivery in late June. Rods are 5140 I-Beam with doweled cap and cap screw bolts. The standard rods come with 8740 cap screws and ARP2000 rod bolts will be available.
Although similar to the 318 stroker kit we have offered in the past the new rods will not require widening the rod journal. Not many crank grinders would widen the rod journals enough to fit aftermarket 2.0" journal rods so the process will be much simpler. 
Although off the shelf pistons would not work the new rods could be used with a 312 crankshaft offset ground to 3.60-3.61" stroke.

By slumlord444 - 8 Years Ago
So I can take a forged 292 truck crank and make a 312 crank out of it?
By LordMrFord - 8 Years Ago
With 292 mains and smaller rod bearing size, yes.

I think that cast crank can take all abuse what naturally aspired Y can offer without going really high rpm's.
Bad balancing jobs are different story.
By Ted - 8 Years Ago
I did talk with SCAT earlier this week and when I asked about the production of the upcoming Y crankshaft, they said it will not be available now until this time next year.
By LordMrFord - 8 Years Ago
Ted (5/8/2016)
I did talk with SCAT earlier this week and when I asked about the production of the upcoming Y crankshaft, they said it will not be available now until this time next year.

I thought chinese were faster to get tin copies from stuff but maybe I was wrong.
They are. The problem is simple. There is no forging die in China that has enough material to make the Y-Block snout.
I've looked into having cranks made and the answer is always the same. Went through a couple of connections, Same answer.
So, there would have to be a new die, modify an existing die or weld material on the forging to make the snout long enough.
I have cast 4 samples of the crankshaft I was trying to make here but finding someone to machine it is another story. Best price so far $1100.00
for machining only.
For now, offset grind or wait. Or go to a billet crankshaft.
slumlord444 (5/8/2016)
So I can take a forged 292 truck crank and make a 312 crank out of it?

Ron, that is the idea. Either steel or cast crank offset ground to 3.44" stroke.
Offset grinding at standard width should cost around $150-200
By charliemccraney - 8 Years Ago
Seems like a company such as Scat, who is in the business of making cranks would either make it happen or not.  Pushing the introduction back another year is pretty well a good indication that they're not going to do it.
By aussiebill - 8 Years Ago
John, sounds like you,ve come up with an achievable alternative to 312 with that new rod! i like the idea, thank you.
By suede57ford - 8 Years Ago
I like the new rod idea as well.  Sounds like a great alternative for now.

I hope scat comes thru in the future, as an affordable stroker crank would really help in the power department.  I'm a true believer that max cubes really wake up a Y.

I have a moldex billet stroker with a main girdle in my black car.  They really make a nice piece. I have never had an engine with such good oil pressure in all conditions. The crank and first class machine work must be right on.

The new rods came out really nice, getting over 300 inches out of a  272 or  316 inches out of a 292 sure got a lot easier. 
By Small block - 8 Years Ago
     Now  what is on the back burner John a new Big bore  block would be nice  with about 4,125 bore!
No plans from us to do a block.  They seem to be one of the best original parts of the engine.  
By PF Arcand - 8 Years Ago
Sm.Blk: (Verne) Schumann Sales & Service, floated a new block proposel some time ago...it died on the vine.  The cost & logistics just aren't feasible. A former casting person on this site, said just start up costs would at a minimum be some $200, 000... The Y-block has had many parts & design improvements in recent years, with impressive results. But it is what it is, a vintage engine..love it or leave it!