Profile Picture

New Aftermarket Crankshafts

Posted By MontyRay56 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Ted (12/6/2015)
Small block (12/6/2015)

It would be nice to have a set of bearing spacers like was used in the 400 SBC when they used to install the 350 crank in the 400 block! Then the 292 crank would fit both small and large main size.

While the bearing spacer sounds like a viable option, those main bearing spacers used on the 400 SBC blocks with a 350 crankshaft were problematic from both a fit and heat transfer aspect.  As a result of that, there was a special ‘thick’ bearing that became available for that application but those were exorbitantly expensive compared to a standard thickness bearing.  If there was enough demand, a special thick bearing could be manufactured to put a 292 mained crankshaft in a 312 block

Ted and adding to that, as you know, good 312 blocks are not allways available and lessens these ideas. i think remaking the small main journal 3.44 stroke is commonsense approach.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

John Mummert
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I don't know when or if the Scat will be available so in the mean time I am having new rods made that are 312 length and width but take a 2" bearing.
This will allow you to take your 272-292 crankshaft to a local crank grinder and have it offset ground to 312 stroke. You will then be able to use off the shelf 312 pistons and make a 312 out of a 292 at an affordable price.
We expect delivery in late June. Rods are 5140 I-Beam with doweled cap and cap screw bolts. The standard rods come with 8740 cap screws and ARP2000 rod bolts will be available.
Although similar to the 318 stroker kit we have offered in the past the new rods will not require widening the rod journal. Not many crank grinders would widen the rod journals enough to fit aftermarket 2.0" journal rods so the process will be much simpler. 
Although off the shelf pistons would not work the new rods could be used with a 312 crankshaft offset ground to 3.60-3.61" stroke.

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

slumlord444
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
So I can take a forged 292 truck crank and make a 312 crank out of it?
LordMrFord
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
With 292 mains and smaller rod bearing size, yes.

I think that cast crank can take all abuse what naturally aspired Y can offer without going really high rpm's.
Bad balancing jobs are different story.

Hyvinkää, FI
Ted
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 3 days ago
I did talk with SCAT earlier this week and when I asked about the production of the upcoming Y crankshaft, they said it will not be available now until this time next year.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

LordMrFord
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Ted (5/8/2016)
I did talk with SCAT earlier this week and when I asked about the production of the upcoming Y crankshaft, they said it will not be available now until this time next year.

I thought chinese were faster to get tin copies from stuff but maybe I was wrong.

Hyvinkää, FI
John Mummert
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

They are. The problem is simple. There is no forging die in China that has enough material to make the Y-Block snout.
I've looked into having cranks made and the answer is always the same. Went through a couple of connections, Same answer.
So, there would have to be a new die, modify an existing die or weld material on the forging to make the snout long enough.
I have cast 4 samples of the crankshaft I was trying to make here but finding someone to machine it is another story. Best price so far $1100.00
for machining only.
For now, offset grind or wait. Or go to a billet crankshaft.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

John Mummert
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

slumlord444 (5/8/2016)
So I can take a forged 292 truck crank and make a 312 crank out of it?

Ron, that is the idea. Either steel or cast crank offset ground to 3.44" stroke.
Offset grinding at standard width should cost around $150-200

charliemccraney
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: Yesterday
Seems like a company such as Scat, who is in the business of making cranks would either make it happen or not.  Pushing the introduction back another year is pretty well a good indication that they're not going to do it.

Lawrenceville, GA
aussiebill
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
John, sounds like you,ve come up with an achievable alternative to 312 with that new rod! i like the idea, thank you.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

Reading This Topic

Site Meter