Profile Picture

T85/T86

Posted By 62bigwindow 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Is there any difference in physical size between the two trans? I am swapping from a 6 to a y block in my Ranch Wagon and would like to upgrade to the T85. I thought a but a T5 but I like the nostalgia of the three speed.

Durham Missouri
Dobie
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)Supercharged (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
The T85 is physically bigger (and heavier) than the T86. The T86 is a light duty trans for 6 cyl and small V8 applications. The T85 is much stouter and was found behind engines up to 406 cubes in FOMOCO applications. The T85 should fit your trans tunnel with no mods needed to the tunnel/firewall. Your linkage should also work with it.
steinauge
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)Supercharged (366 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
How can you tell one from the other from the outside?
Daniel Jessup
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)Supercharged (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
The T86 is a top load trans case from my understanding. The T85 is sideload, and the bottom of the cover plate is CURVED as opposed to the other mid fifties ford transmissions being a pretty square rectangle. Google images for T85's and see what you come up with.

Daniel Jessup

Loveland, Ohio

aka "The Hot Rod Reverend" w00t
check out the 1955 Ford Fairlane build at www.hotrodreverend.com

Richard
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)Supercharged (844 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
You might consider a T85 with Overdrive.  Its a 30% reduction in RPMs 
57RancheroJim
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I use a T85 with OD behind my Y in my 57. My T85 was from a 61 390/401hp Galaxie. Had to change clutch disc to a 23 spline and the yoke on the drive shaft, I think the bigger output shaft on the T85 is the same size and spline as a C6..
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

The one I am looking to buy is an overdrive. I am just trying to minimize any surprises when doing the engine/trans swap.

Durham Missouri
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.6K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
62bigwindow (6/4/2015)

Is there any difference in physical size between the two trans? I am swapping from a 6 to a y block in my Ranch Wagon and would like to upgrade to the T85. I thought a but a T5 but I like the nostalgia of the three speed.

My ’55 Ford Customline originally had the T86 overdrive and I swapped it over to a T85 overdrive tranny in about 1990.  The T85 physically fit the ’55 tunnel without any problems but I did have to modify the transmission crossmember for the relocated transmission mount and change up the driveshaft due to the different u-joint requirement.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

If you get a T-85 make sure it comes with the tail shaft yoke.. They are very difficult to find
62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

What mod did you have to do to the crossmember Ted? I assume you had to move the mount back?

Durham Missouri

Reading This Topic

Site Meter