Profile Picture

2015 Engine Masters Challenge participants have been selected.

Posted By Ted 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

2015 Engine Masters Challenge participants have been selected.

Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)Supercharged (773 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Months Ago

Congratulations to all who fielded an engine, the amount of technical understanding work and organizational skill are truly awe inspiring. And of course special thanks to long time friends of the Y Block Ted and Royce who are definitely not picking an engine to fit the class but making the Y fit the class.  Ted's engine is obviously much simpler and more practical than some of the others.  I did not find on HRM's site anything about Royce's engine, is there something there?
The HRM coverage of the event was as usual snarky about Fords, especially Y's and filled with mis-information.  Is HRM owned by GM or what? 

Doug T

The Highlands, Louisville, Ky.

hjh
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)Supercharged (348 reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
EMC Report                      Rick Martin , Bob Martin and myself just returned from Lima EMC site. The order of finish     # 1  Kaase
                                                                                                                                                                                             # 2  S. A. M.                                   
                                                                                                                                                                                             # 3  Ted
                                                                                                                                                                                             # 4  Royce
                                                                                                                                                                                             # 5  Packard
Ted was only 60 total points from the SAM # 2 spot that is a couple of H.P. & torque #`s out of second .Ted & Royce done us very proud .Royce had a lot of interest in his engine especially with the Turnpike Cruiser valve covers  The Kasse engine was something to see, pictures will never do it justest. If he only used 10lb .of rods he made good use of them because there was major mods. made all  within the rules because the only Tech item was cubic inch claimed.
The reason for incorrect reporting is trying to determine scores from the screen shown is hard as it is not left on very long.      Harry Hutten
mgcookwv
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)Supercharged (410 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Congrats Ted, wish you well.
speedpro56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)Supercharged (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
A big congrats to Ted and Royce for a job well done indeed!

-Gary Burnette-

62bigwindow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)Supercharged (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Ok. We have the order but what about the hp numbers?

Durham Missouri
NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hmmmmm...

For me, because of the formula for computing the final score (utilizing average hp and torque readings and factoring in engine displacement) I'd be interested in the final score for each of the entries.   Smile

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Thanks to all who sent congrats and best wishes.. What a fabulous experience for a gear head to rub elbows with some of the most accomplished builders in the industry.
The Y Block contingent was well represented with Ted Eaton and his team, my team, and some additional Y block guys who showed up to observe.  As far as performance, SAM and Kaase routinely pull out all the stops to tailor their engines to win the competition, and it shows by the number of wins accumulated between them. An examination of their engines reveals what is necessary to make a score that can win.. For the rest of us that cannot have unlimited budgets, we work with what we have and try to tune for the best possible score. Ted did a remarkable job, using parts that are not exotic or one off, to post a VERY competitive score. Ted's engine could be dropped into a car and raced just as it is.. Not so for the two winners. I knew my effort would be challenged because I do not have aftermarket heads that flow a lot of air. I was pleased with how my engine performed as it mirrored very closely my test scores.. UNOH dynos are known to be stingy and every competitor was down from 20 to 50 horse from what they scored on their home dynos.  My numbers were off the least of any that I talked to.  On my home dyno I made 480 horse and 480 torque and an EMC score of 2183. On the UNOH dyno I made 462 horse and 467 torque for a 2129 score. The trick to making a good score in EMC is to find a combination that balances low end torque with high end horsepower. In a drag race engine you shoot for high end horsepower. In race trim this engine will make 510 horse at 6500 rpm but only 400 ft lb of torque at 3000 rpm..Since I pulled this engine from my race car I had to find a way to beef up the torque at 3000 rpm without killing all the horsepower at 6000. It was a given that I had to use my existing cam since solid roller cams for Lincoln Y blocks can't be ordered from J.C. Whitney. To do this I opened up the valve lash from .016 to .028 to make the cam seem smaller to the engine.. I also switched to a dual plane intake rather that the single plane I usually run in my race car. In 3 dyno sessions, I made over 100 dyno pulls, tested 5 intakes, 4 carburetors, 3 sets of headers, and a lot of spacers to come up with my combo.
It was a great experience. I enjoyed myself greatly. It is stressful, expensive,and hard work to prepare and run an engine in competition,, but like so may things in motorsports, it is addicting..  If the rules are favorable in 2016 I will probably be back, hopefully a little more competitive that this yr,

charliemccraney
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)Supercharged (9.7K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Last Active: 5 hours ago
Kaase talking about his engine.

Lawrenceville, GA
'60 Fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)Supercharged (152 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Congratulations to all the Y-Blockers who competed! I probably shouldn't say this, but when you completely change the architecture of the cylinder heads as Mr. Kaase did..., well, is it really still a Y-Block? I understand his modifications are legal under the letter of the law (rules) although they don't seem to keep up with the spirit of the vintage engine class, He might as well have started with some chunks of metal and carved a motor. Guess I'm biased. Still good to see the real Y-Blocks make a good showing. -Dave
CK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
Well done guys, very impressive no.'s.
Those head mods. are inspiring though.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter