Profile Picture

2015 Engine Masters Challenge participants have been selected.

Posted By Ted 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

2015 Engine Masters Challenge participants have been selected.

Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Charlie is right!  the reporting is BAD.    From what I can gather   KAASE 1st  SAM 2nd  and Ted is 3rd  right now, but  without some better clarification I can't promise this is right.  477 is probably Kaases avg hp. Not Avg. PEAK. hp 

http://ford-y-block.com 

20 miles east of San Diego, 20 miles north of Mexico

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/2c0ef4dd-5dd8-408e-ba0d-74f6.jpg

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Yep..I stopped trying to make sense of the numbers so far. Those tasked with the media chore for the event seem to be a bit confused.

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

MarkMontereyBay
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)Supercharged (980 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Some photos and "commentary" now on the EMC site.

http://www.hotrod.com/events/1510-you-wont-believe-this-engine-is-60-years-old/

57 Black Tbird 312/auto

DryLakesRacer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Very interesting reading. With the Ford Y-block being wider at the manifold/head split using adapters to a narrower manifold makes perfect sense. John Kaase must have read the rules really close to figure on changing the intake port design within the confines of the head. Aluminum sure makes this easier. If that was not allowed and no aftermarket aluminum heads were allowed I'm sure he would have picked another make: Lincoln/Merc would have been a better choice just because of head design alone. I did think they (L/M) would have made a better showing. I also would like to see a single carb or throttle body of no more the 4 holes/venturi.
I feel Ted did us true Y- Blockers proud and he has proven again how stout these Fords are....Thank you Ted.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Genuinerod
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)Supercharged (233 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Going by the formula of Engine masters (torque + HP x 1000 / cu. in.= score.   Ted wins.  The way I figure it is Ted: 3075, Klaase: 2943, the poly eng: 2769. 
CK
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)Supercharged (354 reputation)

Last Active: 8 Years Ago
I think Kaase ran his Y block in two classes and that is why its mentioned having two HP stats.
477Hp cut off at 6000rpm Vintage class
600HP, well that's peak HP and has been compared to LS engines having a greater Torque figure and what 50 plus years have done for the V8.
John I think your heads really opened the worlds eyes on the old Y.

But The EMC site is shocking and hoping Genuinerod is right
glrbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

http://www.hotrod.com/events/1510-prehistoric-power-the-winner-of-vintage-class-competition-at-2015-amsoil-engine-masters-challenge/ 
kaase won
sam second
ted third
Packard fourth
Royce fifth

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

NoShortcuts
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)Supercharged (3.0K reputation)

THANKS for posting that, Gary.

Ted's performance and Royce's were EXCELLENT.  We'll all be interested to hear what they put together in their engine builds.  As has been said earlier, some of the EMC reporting is incorrect.

For those of us that have not followed John Kasse, I found the article that follows on the Internet.  Click the link if you're interested in a profile of his performance engine operation.
http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/html/about.html

Kasse, Ted, and Royce have breathed new life into the y-block story.  That said, John Mummert has provided THE cylinder heads that have revolutionized the capability the 'little' y-blocks fielded by John Kasse and Ted.

Kudos to all of the vintage category EMC participants on their accomplishments.  WoW!  What a showing!

NoShortcuts
a.k.a. Charlie Brown
near Syracuse, New York
glrbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Ted and Royce have plenty to be proud of, Competing against Kaase is tough, lots of money and equipment to build what ever he needs.  I wonder if Royce is thinking tunnel ram now.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

Y block Billy
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Ya, John adden 10 lbs of welding rod to the heads and reported them to side by side ports, talk about going to extremes!

55 Vicky & customline

58 Rack Dump, 55 F350 yard truck, 57 F100

59 & 61 P 400's, 58 F100 custom cab, 69 F100, 79 F150, 82 F600 ramp truck, 90 mustang conv 7 up, 94 Mustang, Should I continue?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter