Profile Picture

2015 Engine Masters Challenge participants have been selected.

Posted By Ted 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.

2015 Engine Masters Challenge participants have been selected.

Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
I'm not in, but on the alternate list. Hopefully something wil change because I feel pretty good about my chances. My engine was built for pump gas so it has some room for improvement to take advantage of the VP 101. The cam and headers are set up for a little higher rpm as well. Even as is though its
334ci making 450hp @6000 and solid low end torque.
jepito
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)Supercharged (109 reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
4-6k dyno pull http://youtu.be/FHvN41NNalM

Warm up. http://youtu.be/MY2wkoze6yQ
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
PF Arcand (6/23/2015)

What is the RPM range for the Vintage class?  I haven't followed the most recent contests, but one thing that has been evident in the past is that unless your engine can produce torque numbers at the bottom of the RPM range, equal to it's displacement or better, the chances of winning  were slim & none. Even making the top six was doubtful. I realize this vintage class has limited entries, but Jon Kaase is a master builder/ tuner & everyone else better be on their best game or it's unlikely for them to get close to the front.

Paul.  Well said!  Jon is noted for thinking way outside the box and being quite innovative along the way.

As Jepito previously mentioned, the rpm band for the Vintage Engine Class is 3000-6000 rpm’s.  The fuel being used is VP101 which falls between a pump gas and race fuel and this alone puts the engine in that grey area between a street engine and race engine.  My own proposed engine combination for the 2015 EMC competition is going to end up being a dyno queen or a mild race engine due to the fuel requirement.  This engine is a combination that’s going to be hard to repurpose without a complete teardown for a piston and camshaft change later.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Interesting point Ted.. It also strikes me as odd that a vintage class would have a somewhat narrow RPM range starting at 3000 RPM. But, then again  it's Hot Rod running the show now, not Popular Hot Rodding, who would have undoubtedly started it at 2500 RPM.  

Paul
RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Dyno operators do not like to start dyno pulls at a lower rpm.. The water brake often times can not hold an engine that makes a lot of torque at that low of RPM
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
That may be true in some cases, however the University of Ohio's dynos ( I don't recall the make or models, but I believe they used three) were starting at 2500 rpm in Engine Masters tests on engines much bigger than a usual Y-block.  

Paul
Ted
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Co-Administrator

Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)Co-Administrator (12.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 2 days ago
PF Arcand (7/17/2015)
That may be true in some cases, however the University of Ohio's dynos ( I don't recall the make or models, but I believe they used three) were starting at 2500 rpm in Engine Masters tests on engines much bigger than a usual Y-block.

UNOH uses the DTS dynameters.  DTS has sold out to Superflow so the UNOH dynos are now supported by Superflow.  It was one of Kaase’s engines that actually ‘smoked’ the water brake on one of the UNOH dyno’s.  I’m more in favor of the 3000 rpm start rather than 2500 rpms simply due to some dyno operators not having a soft touch on the controls and operating the dyno controls like a car leaving a dragstrip starting line.  If the engine is not tuned for this kind of start, it will cough and spit and in some instances simply die.  Assuming the engine gets past that kind of rambunctious start, running the throttle up too fast will make the rpms fall quite a bit below the dyno start rpm and in turn loads both the engine and the dyno extremely hard at that point.  If that dyno start rpm is set at 2500, then the potential is there for a high torque engine to drop all the way down to 1800-1900 rpms while the computer is trying to compensate for the sudden load on the water brake.  I use the soft touch method at the dyno controls and rarely see more than a 200 rpm drop below the selected start rpm.  I rarely make pulls starting at less than 2500 rpms simply due to main bearing and crankshaft loading being severe at low rpms and at full throttle.

Lorena, Texas (South of Waco)

Small block
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)Supercharged (212 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
      The poly  engine was the engine  that showed the way for the Big block scruby and 351 Cleveland, The poly   had some short comings but  the  canted  valve  idea was  good  enough that both  Ford and scruby  followed with there  own  design!  If you don't  have  it  you will never  win a NASCAR race!   This class should be interesting Kaase has a way of  making  power no matter what he builds!  
Kahuna
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)Supercharged (1.2K reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
As I recall, that early Hemi placed 3rd in the competition several years ago. I was
very fortunate to be able to watch and assist during the Local Dyno pulls in Chico, CA.
I have no idea what HP it made during the EMC, but did get to see it make more than
645 HP on John Beck's dyno. A very impressive engine.
Unfortunately, one of the co-builders (Danny Miller) passed away some time later.
RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
It was very very sad that Danny Miller passed suddenly and too soon.. He had a very quick and inventive mind and boundless enthusiasm.. That Hemi project was quite an effort

Reading This Topic

Site Meter