Profile Picture

Pertronix Flame Thrower problems (again)

Posted By Nat Santamaria 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I got stranded on the weekend.
Has anyone experienced multiple failures on these units. This is my 3rd Flamethrower that has failed in 6 years. I have a stock 57 bird with the original Ignitor electronic ignition.
This Flamethrower is about 3 years old (about 5,000 miles on it) summer car. This particular one was the model that is filled with epoxy because the first 2 oil filled ones I had leaked.
I was informed that if you mount it horizontally the epoxy filled is the way to go. It was installed without the external resistor because it has an internal resistor.
I put the original coil that came with the car 59 years ago and she starts right up. I only chose the flamethrower to get the extra power.

Is it worth it?

Threaded View

Threaded View
Forum Post Pertronix Flame Thrower problems (again) By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post You are scaring me. Mine is about 2 years old and about 5000 miles... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have 3 y block cars with flamethrower 11 series pertronix ignitions,... By aussiebill ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post It's been mentioned previously that the early units will fail if the... By PF Arcand ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nat - If you are not looking for a performance increase - only a more... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nat, What is the part number/model number of your coil? By RB ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post The pertronix epoxy filled coil part number is 40111. I think I am... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I also have been running the Pertronix for a number of years without... By Rono ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I run a Pertronix 1 with their recommended coil and the stock Ford... By DryLakesRacer ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hows the condition of your distributor? A lot of people put them in... By Talkwrench ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post It looks like with the 40111 coil and original Pertronix you need a... By RB ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post My flame thrower flamed out after a year of use on another Ford with... By Richard ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post According to the instructions, it should work fine with the ignitor... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I found this confusing when I installed my Flame Thrower coil. I... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I called Pertronix and they told me the same thing. Their coils have... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post All coils have an "internal resistor." That is primary resistance.... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post You make a good point Charlie! I have been running with Petronix and... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Royce said it will run cooler. I didn't know that. Possibly that... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I agree with Charlie. Many independent tests have shown no increase... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post The limitations of the "pointless" inductive ignitions lies with (1)... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey guys I appreciate all your comments & suggestions. I put the... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post An interesting note, now that I have Vicky up and running, I removed... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I would expect a cam with the specs of yours to have a miss at low... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]charliemccraney (5/6/2015)[/b][hr] I would expect a cam... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Yes. Now that you have specified the RPM range, my bet is that it's... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Charlie, I put the ballast resister back in and when I got up over... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Canadian Hot Rodder (5/8/2015)[/b][hr] As per the vacuum... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well, I would listen to a guy who builds engines professionally before... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Rob - There are lots of ways to tune an engine - and the use of a full... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post my pertronix failed after 4000 miles went back to points i did not... By cliffs 56 lincoln ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Strange how many failures I have read about over the years yet so many... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Too all: it definitely looks like I have an issue with the Petronix!... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I think the Pertronix 3 is probably better as it has multispark... By Talkwrench ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Thanks Talkwrench, Just purchased a Petronix III along with the... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I've been running the original Pertronix on numerous engines for... By Dave V ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post There's the Accel points eliminator kit people seem to like. The only... By Dobie ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post The main downside of the typical "points replacer" unit is its... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]GREENBIRD56 (5/14/2015)[/b][hr]The next downer being the... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Well installed the Petronix III yesterday and so far all is well!... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have been running the original PenTronix with their coil on my '57... By slumlord444 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post How much voltage does the Duraspark coil put out? Dave By Dave V ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Setting the rev limiter on the Petronix is very simple. First off it... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Rob, Since your engines horsepower peaked at 5600, start with a rev... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have experienced a problem with the old style ( short neck ) Flame... By Jim Rowe ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Dave V - The coil voltage rating is that of the coil insulation - not... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Steve Sorry I havn't replied sooner but I was at a car show all... By Dave V ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Dave, You're not likely to get anything better than a Pertronix II or... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post After reading all this and doing some additional research I plan to... By slumlord444 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Make sure to set your timing after you install the Petronix III. Not... By Canadian Hot Rodder ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey guys. I originally started this topic and have been reading all... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I have been running the original Ignitor and Flamethrower coil without... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post [quote][b]Nat Santamaria (5/18/2015)[/b][hr] ....On another note I... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post On the carb issue I would try smaller primary jets. Go down in small... By slumlord444 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I just pulled all the plugs for an inspection. All plugs vary slightly... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nat - Do the "slightly" different plugs match the pattern of "every... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you have one cylinder that isn't firing/burning like the rest I... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey Greenbird. The Intake is the stock manifold ECZ-9425-B. The plug... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nat - In the "cross H" design scheme of the intake manifold, cylinders... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey thanks Steve for your response. A mechanic friend of mine are now... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post We did a compression test on this cylinder and it was 130 lbs. This... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post While 130psi is toward the low side, it should run fine. You also... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post That is the only plug that is misfiring and sooty. All the rest are... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post How did you check the plug wire? Internal breaks that can cause... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post If you want to do it right, you need to check the rest to see how it... By charliemccraney ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I just installed a 4th Flamethrower coil (epoxy filled) in the stock... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post I don't get it either, something isn't right but I have no idea what... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Hey Ted I am running the ignitor 1. I have the stock external resistor... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nat. Without making me go back and read through all the posts, which... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Nat. Have you checked that your car doesn’t have a 'hidden' resistor... By Ted ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post There is no additional hidden wire going to the coil. I have the red... By Nat Santamaria ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post "I have a black wire connected to the top of the resistor going to the... By 57RancheroJim ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post Maybe someone asked this a ways back - but the Red wire to the... By GREENBIRD56 ( 9 Years Ago )
Forum Post why all the noise about the problem,the cure is the forddura spark... By 2721955meteor ( 9 Years Ago )

Reading This Topic

Site Meter