Profile Picture

Pertronix Flame Thrower problems (again)

Posted By Nat Santamaria 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I got stranded on the weekend.
Has anyone experienced multiple failures on these units. This is my 3rd Flamethrower that has failed in 6 years. I have a stock 57 bird with the original Ignitor electronic ignition.
This Flamethrower is about 3 years old (about 5,000 miles on it) summer car. This particular one was the model that is filled with epoxy because the first 2 oil filled ones I had leaked.
I was informed that if you mount it horizontally the epoxy filled is the way to go. It was installed without the external resistor because it has an internal resistor.
I put the original coil that came with the car 59 years ago and she starts right up. I only chose the flamethrower to get the extra power.

Is it worth it?
57RancheroJim
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
You are scaring me. Mine is about 2 years old and about 5000 miles also. If this one ever leaves me stranded I'll never buy another one. I don't think there is any real performance gain and if there is it is minimal in my opinion.
aussiebill
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)Supercharged (2.6K reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I have 3 y block cars with flamethrower 11 series pertronix ignitions, 2 coils sideways, 1 vertical and trouble free over 12, 6 and 4 yrs.

AussieBill            YYYY    Forever Y Block     YYYY

Down Under, Australia

PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

It's been mentioned previously that the early units will fail if the ignition switch is left on for long periods.  I can't personaly confirm this information..  I don't drive my 57 much & I don't race it, so I've just left it on points & condensor. 

Paul
GREENBIRD56
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Nat - If you are not looking for a performance increase - only a more trouble free (meaning no points to adjust) ignition - try using a stock type coil and resistor. I believe the early Pertronix unit you describe is simply a fixed dwell device - and while a lower resistance coil (one tough enough to last) could jump the ignition performance a bit - the original systems did work well enough to fire the engine and drive all over America. 

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/9ea2bf28-00c4-4772-9ac7-d154.jpg 
 Steve Metzger       Tucson, Arizona
RB
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Nat, What is the part number/model number of your coil? 
Nat Santamaria
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)Supercharged (251 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
The pertronix epoxy filled coil part number is 40111.
I think I am going to stick with the stock Ford coil and the resistor. The car is running great. The exhaust smell is bit stronger but I can live with that.
Thanks
Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

I also have been running the Pertronix for a number of years without any issues, but I'm running the Flamethrower II coil (.6 ohm) without the ballast resistor and with the Ignitor II ignition. I wasn't sure if you could run the earlier Flamethrower coil without a ballast resistor, but I may be wrong.
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

DryLakesRacer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I run a Pertronix 1 with their recommended coil and the stock Ford resistor. I did this after reading too many reviews that said they had coil problems. I called them and they said using the resistor would be ok but there would be less power and the coil would run cooler. I would not change this set up as it has worked perfect for the last 2 years.
If you are looking to make power and more gasoline is power contact Performance Distributors in Memphis Tn. I have been using their HEI for years at Bonneville with an optional unit called a VIP. It converts their 12v unit to 18 volts. I am up 6 jets sizes and a spark plug gap of .055. They have told me I can go up to .075" gap by continuing to add more fuel. I'm sure my current carb would smoke black on any other engine but burns clean on my racing GMC. As I'm continuing I will keep upping the jets and opening the gap. By the way I have always increased my speeds taking baby steps.. Good Luck.

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.
Talkwrench
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)Supercharged (1.6K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hows the condition of your distributor? A lot of people put them in their old clapped out units and when something goes wrong they can be quick to blame the unit..
Im on an ignitor 3 and matching coil, been going great for a few years now.

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Uploads/Images/02c74785-3ce2-4b80-a66c-f31f.jpg

"Came too close to dying to stop living now!"

Reading This Topic

Site Meter