Profile Picture

Radiators

Posted By Rusty_S85 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
My radiator will be ready around 3 or 4 pm today.  I will post photos but I did tell them to go ahead and paint the radiator as I didn't have the paint and it would take another week to get it from Eastwood.  They said the paint is a flat black and I recall the radiators in these cars were a satin black close to flat black is that correct?

If not I might have to just order the paint from eastwood and strip the radiator down of paint and repaint it.

1956 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan - 292 Y8 - Ford-O-Matic - 155,000 mi

Rusty_S85
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)Supercharged (698 reputation)

Dave Doll (4/16/2015)

What they are going to do is build a core with a flat flange for your head sheet and take your old top header and cut cut out the old tube pattern then slide the new core in depending on how skilled they are you will have a seam all the way around the bottom of the header. There is no other way to do it We have done it lots of times if you take your time and work it, it really is unnoticeable unless you look really look for it

That I how they said they were going to do it.  But with the way they told me it is actually going to be done is that when the radiator is back together you coudnt tell its been rebuilt as the headers are going to be built just like the orignals which is why its costing me $20 extra to ship my old core to the builders to replicate.  I will see how ever when it comes in how it is but they told me everything would be just like it was with the original when it is finished.  I talked more to them today when I stopped by to finalize the deal and pay the deposit on the radiator.  They already had it apart and was waiting for UPS to pick it up to send it to Dallas.

Rusty_S85
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

carl (4/16/2015)
rusty the top tank I have that has a tag attached has the following number  either G 64-10  or 664-10,not sure what it means  Carl

Hmm that would have been the next question I had is what do the tags mean.  The radiator shop told me they would gladly solder on a tag on my tank if I can locate one and I was thinking if it would be proper I could always keep the tank as a spare just incase the original gets damaged.

But now I have to do some reading to find out what the tags even mean.  If it is a date code then that is going to be hard to find a proper date code tag for mine unless I can find like a trophy shop that could replicate a copper tag to say what I need it to say.

carl
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
rusty the top tank I have that has a tag attached has the following number  either G 64-10  or 664-10,not sure what it means  Carl
Dave Doll
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)Supercharged (162 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago

What they are going to do is build a core with a flat flange for your head sheet and take your old top header and cut cut out the old tube pattern then slide the new core in depending on how skilled they are you will have a seam all the way around the bottom of the header. There is no other way to do it We have done it lots of times if you take your time and work it, it really is unnoticeable unless you look really look for it

Rusty_S85
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

carl (4/16/2015)
Rusty  I scraped several 55,56 radiators and I saved the top and bottom tanks,the radiator shop could put a new core on a old bottom,you might ask them if they can do that  Carl 

Those top tanks for '55-56 does any of them have the original tag still on them?  Mine I don't know if it broke off or not but theres a small torn piece of brass still on my radiator and if you have one with the correct tag for a '56 let me know I would be interested in obtaining it to have installed on my radiator.

Dave Doll, that is what they were telling me that's why I opted out with an option that they gave me where they will send the radiator to Dallas and use it as a pattern to create the correct bowl headers for the radiator so when its back together it will fit and function as it did when it was new.  Cost me $20 more for shipping but I don't mind as I cant wait till June to start working on this car again and have to finish it up in the hot summer months if I can get it driveable now.

5d6fairlane
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)Supercharged (175 reputation)

Let me know how that goes.
Rusty_S85
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

that's what they are doing is replacing the whole center core section and reusing my tanks.  But they were telling me that the headers are not offered in anything other than flat now.  But she called me back up about an hour after I made my last post she told me what they can do is disassemble the radiator and they have only done this a couple times in the past but it can be done but they can send the radiator core to Dallas and have them build a new core for it with the correct curved header so the upper hose neck will attach like it did originally and the tank will fit just the same.  Price would be the same so I am going to go ahead and have them go this route.

Its also nice considering my '56 was built at the Dallas plant and no the radiator installed in the car in Dallas so long ago is returning to be duplicated to replace the original in the car.  I also mentioned taking the tanks and trying to straighten them out myself and she said that they could do it and it would be no problem.  So I am actually thinking I am getting a damn good deal for $475.  Don't have to wait for the reproduction radiators to come back into stock in early June, I get a 2 year warranty, and the core that is being built will be built using my original core as a pattern so it would be identical to the original core vs the new reproduction.  Its a win win win for me as I can save a little money over the $540 for the new radiator including freight and I will get it back all like new Wed or Thursday.

carl
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)Supercharged (2.4K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Rusty  I scraped several 55,56 radiators and I saved the top and bottom tanks,the radiator shop could put a new core on a old bottom,you might ask them if they can do that  Carl 
Rusty_S85
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

lyonroad (4/15/2015)
Well if they change the shape of the tank and relocate the intake then my guess would be that it would no longer be concourse.  I think that is important to you so you may have to look elsewhere.  When I re-cored the rad on my '56 pickup I got the tanks back from the rad shop while they were waiting on the core and straightened them myself.  The tank material is very easy to work with.  Actually after I installed the rad I was leaning over it to adjust something and put the dent right back in it.  Then after the rad was filled and the engine run for the first time the pressure in the rad pushed the dent back out.

That is the delima I am in currently.  I got a call from the shop and it will be $475 total out the door cost and it comes with a 2 year warranty.  They have been in business a long time and the guy that does the work on the radiator has been doing this since AJ Foyt was racing and even built some radiators for him.  But I am just wondering now if I should just go with the $475 radiator new and just deal with the non concourse quality radiator.  My orignal one is already missing the tag and has no stamps on it as far as I can tell and the tag that is on there is from B&B Radiator Inc which was a local radiator shop that must have done the patch job on the radiator which is leaking now.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter