Profile Picture

Engine/tranny removal

Posted By jdwilker 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)Supercharged (114 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Getting ready to pull the 292 engine and auto tranny out of my '57 Skyliner and wondered if anybody has done this by pulling them in one piece?  The heads and manifolds are already off. I learned a trick years ago that by jacking up the rear end you can gain access to everything underneath and that by having it nose down, it's easier to get both out.  Any tips would be appreciated.
ponymare
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)Supercharged (86 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
I've watched as well as helped my uncle pull lots of older engines, he removes the radiator, drops the trans cross member, put a drive shaft yoke in the trans housing, and pulls it. He uses a carb to manifold pulling plate, with an adjustable pulling rig, he can get just the right angle for engine alone, or engine trans combo.
slumlord444
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday

The adjustable pulling rig is the key. Not sure what it is actually called but it has a long threaded vertical bolt that lets you easily tilt the engine to most any angle you want to get the assembly in and out easily. Bought mine at a swap meet q while back. Pulled the engine and trans on my Bird and re installed it with the 4 speed to fit the mounts and linkage. Then pulled it back out for paint and rebuild on the engine. Works great. Able to get it in and out by myself without hitting anything or physically straining my aging body.

Dave V
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Would this procedure work with a T5 5speed on a Y-block going in to a 56 Victoria?  DaveV

SE Wis
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
This is a link to an engine hoist leveler-one of many. The key to using these is having a hoist tall enough to compensate for the height of the leveler with the chains. If you're pulling the engine and Trans, it also needs a long enough base to not tip when everything is level. Last time I used one, on a yblock and T-5, I had an overhead chain hoist on a I beam with rollers. Slick as it gets.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Performance-Tool-W41036-Deluxe-Engine-Leveler,6040.html

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Dave V
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)Supercharged (445 reputation)

Last Active: 4 hours ago
Miker   I also have the overhead hoist on I-beam with rollers. You're right. Very slick. I was just wondering if there are any clearance issues in the engine bay with this procedure.   DaveV

SE Wis
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

We had the car maybe 12-18 inches up on jack stands, and the combo went right in. Had a high ceiling, so total height was no problem. The leveler works a lot better with a air wrench, I'm not young or strong enough for a speed handle. If it went in a bird, I wouldnt expect a problem with a Vicky. Having the chassis up on the stands gives plenty of lower clearance-the tail shaft doesn't ground out as you lower everything in, then level and postion it on the mounts.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
dbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)Supercharged (592 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
My only concern about pulling both together would be the weight of the tranny.  With the heads and intake off, it's likely to be very tail heavy.  I pulled mine separately, which was easy, but I was amazed at the weight of the Ford-o-matic, easily twice that of the C4 that went back in.  I did go back in as one piece with no problem.  

Don
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Good point. I haven't pulled a fordo since 1968. With the 3/4 ton leveler, and a stout overhead beam, it would be ok. But you're going to need a really big cherry picker if you don't have a beam . The one I had access to was for pulling big blocks and autos out of vans, IIRC, but that was a long time ago. Might be better to rig a support under the trans, separate them, and pull the motor. I had a friend back then that could bench press 350 or so, and I think he took that fordo out. With the T-5, no problem.

miker
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
slumlord444
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)Supercharged (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
I am going to be re installing mine with the toploader trans shortly. Have the intake installed. Concerned about hoisting the assembly hooked to a plate bolted to an aluminum intake 1/4' bolts in an aluminum manifold. Planning on building a plate to mount to both carb mounting bases using 8, 1/4" bolts in the aluminum intake. Still a little concerned. When I pulled it I had a chain hooked to 2, 3/8" bolts in the steel head and have used this often in the past without problems.  Am I being overly cautious?

Reading This Topic

Site Meter