Profile Picture

56 Ranch Wagon Rear Shocks

Posted By Rono 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Our 56 Ranch Wagon rear shocks have a coil over ("helper")  spring set-up (in addition to the leaf springs). All the aftermarket rear shocks I've seen are just the mono-tube design without the spring. I don't think these are OEM rear shocks, but I'm not sure. The bottom of the spring sits on a flange that appears to be part of the shock. Are there other aftermarket shocks available with the studs on both ends that include these springs or should I just replace them with a set of Gabriel's and be done with it?
Thanks,
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

MoonShadow
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)Supercharged (7.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think those are called "load levelers". Usually used to help older leaf springs. You may find that the car squats too much without them. There are also helper springs that fit the same way with top and bottom clamps.

Y's guys rule!
Looking for McCullouch VS57 brackets and parts. Also looking for 28 Chrysler series 72 parts. And early Hemi parts.

MoonShadow, 292 w/McCulloch, 28 Chrysler Roadster, 354 Hemi)
Manchester, New Hampshire
miker
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)Supercharged (3.9K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Ron, back when the family had a wagon, Dad had air shocks on them for when they were loaded up. Might be a consideration.

A listing on the HAMB showed these for a 56, but the link shows 54. Might be a start.

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/shock-strut-rear/gabriel-hijackers-shock-strut-rear/ford/customline/1954/8-cylinders-3-9l-2bl/259457_0_0/?CJPID=6147195cmpid=cj

miker
55 bird, 32 cabrio F code
Kent, WA
Tucson, AZ
Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Thanks guys...I have been looking at the Gabriel Hijackers, but I'm not quite ready to change them out yet. Still working on the front end. One interesting thing about the wagon rear shocks is that you cannot see the top of the shock stud from underneath the car. They must be located under the floor in the spare tire compartment, but I haven't really looked yet.
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

glrbird
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)Supercharged (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Rono
I think Moonshadow is right, Monroe made some load levelers that my Dad put on the 56 family wagon. Why not just replace or rearc the rear spring to get it back to the ride height you want. Are you planning on a lot of weight or towing a trailer? Load levers and air shocks make the ride much harsher. Really nice find though.

Gary Ryan San Antonio.TX.

lyonroad
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Rono, just for information (I know you are asking about shocks) but I just installed a new set of rear springs in my '55 Ford car.  I got them from General Springs in Kansas City.  http://www.generalspringkc.com/  At $129 a side the price seemed good, however, I see that their price for the springs for your car are $200 per side.  Quite a bit more, but you do get two more leafs per side.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Mark/Gary;
Thanks for your input on this. I'm not planning on hauling a trailer, maybe just the dog and coolers of beer. I like the leaf springs from General Spring. Looks like you need to buy their shackle kits too. I'm working my way back from the front of the car, so I'll be thinking about this for a bit. Maybe just having the springs re-arched with standard Gabriel shocks is all I need. We are going with disk brakes and  1&1/2" dropped spindles in the front.
Rono

lyonroad
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)Supercharged (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Rono, I used the shackle kit from Mac's.  The eyes on the new springs were identical to the old, although the rubber bushings on the Mac's shackles were loose until I tightened them up.  Looked for some polyurethane bushings but couldn't locate any.  Energy Suspension suggested that the only set they had that would be close were for an early Jeep.  Ordered a set but they were for a narrower spring.

Mark

1956 Mercury M100
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan
Delta, British Columbia
PF Arcand
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)Supercharged (5.3K reputation)

Mark: I don't have any personal experience with the Polyurethane bushings, but  apparently they squeek enough to be annoying. Some say they are really a race item..

Paul
DryLakesRacer
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)Supercharged (4.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Rono, there are air shocks listed on E-bay for our Fords listed at $80 might be an option for you. You could hide the schrader valves in the trunk....

56 Vic, B'Ville 200 MPH Club Member, So Cal.

Reading This Topic

Site Meter