56 Ranch Wagon Rear Shocks

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic112472.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Our 56 Ranch Wagon rear shocks have a coil over ("helper")  spring set-up (in addition to the leaf springs). All the aftermarket rear shocks I've seen are just the mono-tube design without the spring. I don't think these are OEM rear shocks, but I'm not sure. The bottom of the spring sits on a flange that appears to be part of the shock. Are there other aftermarket shocks available with the studs on both ends that include these springs or should I just replace them with a set of Gabriel's and be done with it?
Thanks,
Rono
By MoonShadow - 9 Years Ago
I think those are called "load levelers". Usually used to help older leaf springs. You may find that the car squats too much without them. There are also helper springs that fit the same way with top and bottom clamps.
By miker - 9 Years Ago
Ron, back when the family had a wagon, Dad had air shocks on them for when they were loaded up. Might be a consideration.

A listing on the HAMB showed these for a 56, but the link shows 54. Might be a start.

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/shock-strut-rear/gabriel-hijackers-shock-strut-rear/ford/customline/1954/8-cylinders-3-9l-2bl/259457_0_0/?CJPID=6147195cmpid=cj
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Thanks guys...I have been looking at the Gabriel Hijackers, but I'm not quite ready to change them out yet. Still working on the front end. One interesting thing about the wagon rear shocks is that you cannot see the top of the shock stud from underneath the car. They must be located under the floor in the spare tire compartment, but I haven't really looked yet.
Rono
By glrbird - 9 Years Ago
Rono
I think Moonshadow is right, Monroe made some load levelers that my Dad put on the 56 family wagon. Why not just replace or rearc the rear spring to get it back to the ride height you want. Are you planning on a lot of weight or towing a trailer? Load levers and air shocks make the ride much harsher. Really nice find though.
By lyonroad - 9 Years Ago
Rono, just for information (I know you are asking about shocks) but I just installed a new set of rear springs in my '55 Ford car.  I got them from General Springs in Kansas City.  http://www.generalspringkc.com/  At $129 a side the price seemed good, however, I see that their price for the springs for your car are $200 per side.  Quite a bit more, but you do get two more leafs per side.
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Mark/Gary;
Thanks for your input on this. I'm not planning on hauling a trailer, maybe just the dog and coolers of beer. I like the leaf springs from General Spring. Looks like you need to buy their shackle kits too. I'm working my way back from the front of the car, so I'll be thinking about this for a bit. Maybe just having the springs re-arched with standard Gabriel shocks is all I need. We are going with disk brakes and  1&1/2" dropped spindles in the front.
Rono
By lyonroad - 9 Years Ago
Rono, I used the shackle kit from Mac's.  The eyes on the new springs were identical to the old, although the rubber bushings on the Mac's shackles were loose until I tightened them up.  Looked for some polyurethane bushings but couldn't locate any.  Energy Suspension suggested that the only set they had that would be close were for an early Jeep.  Ordered a set but they were for a narrower spring.
By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
Mark: I don't have any personal experience with the Polyurethane bushings, but  apparently they squeek enough to be annoying. Some say they are really a race item..
By DryLakesRacer - 9 Years Ago
Rono, there are air shocks listed on E-bay for our Fords listed at $80 might be an option for you. You could hide the schrader valves in the trunk....
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Thanks everyone. I think the Gabriel Highjackers are a good rear shock option regardless of what I decide to do with the rear leaf springs.
Rono
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Thanks everyone. I think the Gabriel Highjackers are a good rear shock option regardless of what I decide to do with the rear leaf springs.
Rono
By glrbird - 9 Years Ago
Everybody likes pictures, you should post what your fixing on the wagon.
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Hey Gary;
Right now on the Ranch Wagon Project, we are just gathering up all the parts. New radiator, front cross member, shocks, ball joints control arm bushings, C4 tranny, 9" rear and the big purchase, front disk brake conversion which we have not yet purchased.. I just replaced the front wheel cylinders so my wife can drive the car locally around town. She loves driving it! Once we get all the parts, I'll be putting the wagon up for a couple of months and doing it all at once.
I have been working on the exhaust for the coupe and do have pictures, but also have a new computer and I'm having problems retrieving pictures so I can post them. I'll work on that.
Rono
By glrbird - 9 Years Ago
I here ya brother, my new dell computer is a month old and still in the box. almost afraid of all the issues that may develope from it.
Maybe this weekend.
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Gary;
That's funny...my new lap top is a Dell also with the touch screen. Having a real hard time using it since I've used the mouse for so long. Got the picture thing figured out and just posted some pictures of the coupe exhaust on the "This and That" thread.
Rono
By Louis Champeau - 9 Years Ago
At one time you could buy overload springs that bolted over the shocks, I used them on my 56 Crown because I displayed my 64B with a 57 Glasspar boat on a trailer at shows.
By PF Arcand - 9 Years Ago
Just a note on rear shocks for 55-56 & 57 cars  (don't know if it applies to station wagons?)  Some shocks listed for our cars by companies like Gabriel & possibly one or two others, are actually a bit shorter than desirable. Some users, including myself, have found that tire changing clearance is insufficient or marginal. On my 57 I ended up disconnecting the shock & installing extra washers inside, to try to get a bit more clearance.
edit: the ones I had a problem with were KYBs  Sorry, # not available.
By 62bigwindow - 9 Years Ago
Same thing for wagons also. I just replaced the rear shocks on my wagon with KYB 5517's and they were an 1 1/2 shorter. An easy fix is to get shock extenders. A set is only around $14. I'll let you know how they work soon.
By Rono - 9 Years Ago
Can you give me a name or part# for the shock extenders?
Rono
By paul2748 - 9 Years Ago
Early TBirds used a shock with a helper spring.  Wouldn't surprise me that the wagon had them too.
By 62bigwindow - 9 Years Ago
Summit has them. Do a search on Summit for Mr Gasket shock extenders 1290.