Profile Picture

replacement front crossmember

Posted By Rono 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Our 56 Ranch Wagon needs a front cross member. It's pretty rotten. Has anyone tried Goodell Fabrications replacement front cross members? They are advertising on E-pay.
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

PWH42
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Last Active: 7 Years Ago
I've bought a couple of them and was well satisfied with them.They don't look like the original,but are probably made better.Well worth the price.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)Supercharged (2.5K reputation)

Paul;
Thanks...that's what I was hoping to hear.
Rono

http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/uploads/images/4a19e870-e870-4f63-a0a4-db5b.jpg  Ron Lane,  Meridian, ID

Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul;
Just a couple of questions regarding the replacement of the front cross member; Did you tack weld in a brace at the end of the frame horns to maintain the correct dimension before you cut out the old cross member? Also, is it necessary to pull the motor or can you work around the front steady rest?
Thanks,
Rono

PWH42
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)Supercharged (981 reputation)

Rono...................Both of them that I did was with the engine out and front clip off the car,so I had nothing to work around.I didn't weld in a brace because both times I had all the suspension off and just had a bare frame.

Paul,

Boonville,MO

Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Paul;
Thanks! I was just trying to figure out if this was going to be a short or long term project. We have a few modifications we were planning, but were thinking about doing one thing at a time and trying to keep the wagon on the road. It doesn't feel like "Winter" here, but it is so I may as well plan on putting the car up and doing all the heavy work at once (pull the motor, disk brakes, new radiator, & C4).
Rono  

stlroken
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)Supercharged (200 reputation)

Rono
I'm very happy with the cross member in my '56 Victoria. Goodell was easy to work with, price was right.
Engine in the car and no welding required. Good Luck.
Jim

kansas
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)

did cross member with engine in and front clip on Was not hard to do
jim
Rono
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Guys;
Thanks for your response. I feel a little more at ease knowing that you guys didn't have a hard time with this. The original front cross member is welded in and the information on the new cross member indicates that welding is required. So, I'm confused when you say no welding required. Did you drill and bolt the mounting flange to the inside bottom of the frame horn?
Rono

kansas
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Supercharged

Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)Supercharged (337 reputation)

The one I used had to be welding in, I did remove the radiator first
jim

Reading This Topic

Site Meter